The Director of BME is responsible for the 24-hour day-to-day operation of the BME Department of Excela Health. Manages, coordinates and monitors Biomedical Engineering staff to provide efficient and uninterrupted services to all Excela Health facilities and occupants. Ensures that all patient care equipment is properly maintained, all regulatory (JCAHO, PA Department of Health) compliance requirements and all customer support needs are met.
Actively promotes a Lean work culture by performing team member duties to encourage consistent use of LEAN principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements. Recognizes the necessity of taking ownership of one’s own motivation, morale, performance and professional development. Strives for behavior consistent with being committed to Excela’s missions, vision and values.
Essential Functions: Defined as duties specific to the job, that, if removed, would change the entire purpose of the job; to include the Essential Physical Demands and Essential Working Conditions of this position.
- Core Essential Functions:
- Regular, consistent, on-site, and timely attendance.
Safety of patients and employees
- Establishes and maintains a safe working environment; assures staff comply with safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines.
- Assures proper use of safety equipment and devices; holds individuals accountable if non-compliant.
- Assures completion of staff competencies including mandatory education and programs relative to job specific criteria.
- Promptly investigates and resolves Significant Occurrence Reports and incident reports as necessary.
Completion of work without error, customer satisfaction, communication
- Aligns strategic compass with department goals; writes compelling SMART goals in support of the organization's mission, vision, and values. Helps employees understand importance of aligning goals with Excela Health mission.
- Equitably and consistently applies and practices policies and procedures for all staff.
- Practices and encourages staff readiness in compliance with agency regulations and guidelines.
- Improves HCAP scores according to fiscal year targets; demonstrates year after year improvement in service to internal and external customers.
- Responds to client service recovery issues within required time frame and to the satisfaction of the customer.
- Holds regular department meetings, assuring off shifts and satellite offices receive timely and accurate information.
- Maintains a daily meeting board for purpose of displaying problem solving activity.
- Builds and strengthens relations through the fostering of two-way communication; diffuses sources of conflict.
- Provides opportunities for staff to actively provide input into decision making process; seeks input before decision is made.
- Encourages commitment of quality work throughout areas of responsibility.
Volume fluctuations, throughput, length of stay, delivery of care
- Understands and effectively deploys the LEAN tools to streamline work processes, eliminating waste and redundancy while improving productivity.
- Acts on most urgent tasks; prioritizes and delegates workable systems.
- Uses critical thinking skills to proactively resolve key issues that are possible de-railers to productivity and engagement.
- Leads at least one process improvement initiative for department per year; participates in at least one LEAN project per year outside of department.
- Clearly articulates what is expected of individuals and provides them with the materials and equipment to do their work.
- Adheres to Premier benchmarks for own department
- Development of individuals at all levels
Compliance, staffing, recognition, talent management, training and development
- Utilizes employee engagement survey results in carrying out impact plans; demonstrates employee engagement by employee satisfaction results from survey to survey.
- Establishes performance measures to equitably evaluate staff using objective and job-based criteria; coaches toward compliance and addresses variances.
- Provides regular feedback, praise, and recognition; rewards accomplishments and results appropriately.
- Holds staff accountable for consistently modeling the behavioral standards.
- Identifies, evaluates, and selects internal and external talent, assuring an acceptable fit with Excela Health desired culture; effectively matches right person to right job.
- Provides opportunities for the education, training, and development of staff to help them reach their highest potential.
- Offers stretch assignments; creates actionable development plans; encourages learning from setbacks and for future development.
- Actively supports and participates in succession planning initiatives; identifies high potentials and prepares them for possible future leadership opportunities within Excela Health.
- Takes responsibility for own professional growth and development; attends required EHA leadership programs; networks with colleagues to seek out best practices
- Introductory, transfer and periodic appraisals are required to be completed timely adhering to performance management guidelines. All Performance Management (introductory, transfer and periodic appraisals) must be completed in a designated electronic format.
- Financial Decision Making
Inventory, waste, occupancy, expenses, revenue, budgeting
- Considers financial impact of decisions; uses financial concepts for decision making; monitors financial performance.
- Develops and manages department budget at or below budget expectations and consistent with adjusted volume variations.
- Identifies and implements revenue enhancement opportunities.
- Seeks opportunities to reduce operating costs while balancing quality resources.
- Submits timely variance reports that display knowledge of expenses and demonstrates continual plans to reduce variances; operates each year more effectively than one before.
- Stretches capital resources by extending life of existing assets.
- Coordinates the selection of vendors through established internal procurement procedures in an effort to drive down supplier costs while maintaining quality standards.
"Ability to perform the Essential Functions listed on the Physical Conditions and ability to peform the Essential Functions on the Working Condition chart (see attached chart)."
- Specialty Essential Functions:
- Position requires frequent contact with the Senior Vice President of Operations, Director of Facilities Planning and Development, Administration and other departments regarding the operation/condition of the facility, construction projects and planning of the facility. Frequent contact with staff regarding delivery of services and problems within the facility. Frequent contact with code enforcement and/or regulatory agencies. Frequent contact with consultants, vendors, etc.
- MANAGEMENT OF PRIMARY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY manages all activities of BME services personnel to maintain uninterrupted efficient and safe operation of all systems throughout all of the health system. Assigns, communicates and reviews work of all BME employees. Compiles, updates and maintains BME operations and maintenance manuals, databases and equipment logs. Performs clinical assistance and technical consultation acting as a resource for information concerning current utilization of technology. Writes specifications, prepares bid documents and coordinates contract requirements for BME equipment maintenance, service contracts and maintains accurate data regarding repair and maintenance agreements. Administrate hazard alert, recall programs and hazard investigation involving
- FISCAL MANAGEMENT Promotes financial viability of services/programs through appropriate budgeting and monitoring performance related to revenues, expenditures and resource management. Accountable for maintaining FTE budget. Develops annual department operating, personnel and capital budget. Identifies and implements cost control revenues
- PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT Monitors PI activities in respective services/programs and assures that monitors are appropriate for the service provided. Provides opportunities for the education, training and skill development of staff. Establishes performance goals with staff, coaches toward compliance and addresses variance. Conducts, reviews and completes performance appraisals by established review date. Rewards positive performance and celebrates accomplishments. Consistently and fairly administers organizational policies/procedures. Supports continuous quality improvement by participation in the Excela Health performance improvement plan.
- OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT establishes staffing patterns according to the department scope of service and budgetary guidelines. Oversees and directs employment management activities. Interviews, recruits and retains qualified staff. Establishes clear work objectives and standards to prioritize and focus staff efforts. Establishes safety policies and procedures for the operation of equipment and service delivery practice in compliance with regulatory and organization guidelines. Collaborates with other team members in the delivery of services and the use of resources. Interviews and recommends hiring for any BME positions organizationally below this position.
- COMMUNICATION Incorporates critical thinking and analytical skills to resolve complex situations. Conducts department meetings and ensures timely and accurate dissemination of information. Participation in appropriate committee meetings is demonstrated. Communication of appropriate information regarding operations is communicated to the Senior Vice President of Operations. Submission of written/electronic reports to the Senior Vice President of Operations in a timely manner is demonstrated. Positive interpretation of the organizations mission and vision values and strategic imperatives is provided to staff members. Consultation with the Senior Vice President of Operations is initiated as issues and concerns require. Fosters a collegial environment that produces constructive interaction with positive outcomes. Prepares written/electronic recommendations and reports. Provides schedule and budget updates during construction and renovation projects involving BME.
- FURTHERMORE Assures compliance with all laws, regulations and licensure standards. Maintains departmental activity within the scope of JCAHO accreditation standards.
- Marginal Functions: Defined as duties that are not essential in nature and do not take a considerable amount of time to complete (less than 10%).
- Performs other duties as required.
- Required Skills and Knowledge: Minimum level of education, skills and abilities necessary in performing the job.
- Associate Degree in Engineering or related field.
Certification / Licensure / Regulation:
- 5 years of supervisory experience in healthcare with increasing scope of responsibility.