As a member of Cigna's Infrastructure Operations leadership team you will help manage availability of systems operations technologies that connect Cigna's employees with its customers, put resources in the hands of the health professionals who need them and help Cigna play its part in the future of healthcare. The work you will do directing and leading operational processes and restoration activities of technology solutions, preparing budgets, delivering strategic business plans, and reducing cost will translate directly into improved operational costs for the organization. Supported by the resources you need to make informed and accurate business decisions, you will be empowered to maximize your performance and that of the organization.
The Director of Availability Operations will be responsible for three major functions:
Disaster Recovery – ensuring that our critical applications are recoverable within prescribed time periods. This will involve developing recovery plans, establishing various tests throughout the year, documenting and remediating gaps. The scope of this role covers domestic sites and business partners, vendor hosted software and cloud environments. Also required is he need to perform and advisory role for international business units.
Operational Readiness – developing and maturing a process that incorporates many stakeholders and their respective technologies into a process that ensures changes to the environment are operationally correct. This is a newer focus that coordinates many different organizational groups and technologies. A collaborative yet ultimately prescriptive process will be used to move all changes into production in a methodology that does not jeopardize the integrity of the environment yet accommodates the needs of the infrastructure and development community.
Operational Resiliency – in addition to being prepared for a full disaster, there is a need to provide partial technology and business recovery scenarios. This involves developing a resiliency posture that allows workload to be balanced between several sites if the need arises. Included here is the development of prioritized solutions and processes that need to be resilient. Testing, validation and documentation of gaps and future requirements are a key part of this role.
The Operations Availability Director provides support and stewardship for up and downstream ITSM processes of all platform technology solutions deployed across the corporation. The role will be responsible to hire, direct, train and develop cross-functional teams and processes to improve availability and service delivery of the environment, resulting in increased customer satisfaction.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership and Strategy
- Provide leadership and oversight of three teams – Disaster Recovery, Operational Readiness and Operational Resiliency
- Ensure uninterrupted delivery of critical IT services to Cigna and its customers
- Lead delivery of all Disaster Recovery activities and tests
- Develop and govern comprehensive operational readiness requirements
- Develop, test and govern operational resiliency priorities
- Recruit, develop, and manage technical staff to drive improvements in systems stability, productivity improvement, and high team member performance
- Engage with highly technical support teams providing recovery testing support for all technology infrastructure including storage, systems, and virtualization.
- Work with the Business Continuity Program to ensure coordination and coverage in the event of a business outage incident.
- Implement key IT processes in support of CMDB and recovery plan automation
- Engage and collaborate with engineering teams to review Cigna business needs and infrastructure recovery strategies, and prepare for necessary changes
- Instill and maintain high levels of integrity and security, work in close conjunction with Cigna CIP team
- Track and review recovery plan development and testing
- Track incidents and defects against operational readiness requirements to identify gaps and improvement opportunities
- Oversee financial, stability performance measures for all platform technology domains
- Manage and ensure effectiveness of resiliency posture among critical technologies
- Approve and administer user accounts, permissions, and access rights.
- Direct and administrate a contingent of Infrastructure analysts and technicians, and where necessary, conduct performance reviews and corrective action.
- Provide mentorship to junior members of the team.
Knowledge & Experience
- 10+ years' experience in Disaster Recovery or Infrastructure operations, including expertise in running day-to-day operations with a drive toward continuous improvement and meticulous collection of quantifiable metrics
- Cross-functional knowledge of technology infrastructure experience (Network, Storage, Systems, and Virtualization) on a large scale global basis.
- Ability to lead large, complex teams and initiatives in a matrixed organization
- Demonstrated ability to continue and carry-out operational processes amid technology conversions and deployment of new architectures
- Ability to collaborate with engineering, architecture, customer service, and business services teams to achieve common platform services performance and security goals
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with all levels of staff
- Ability to drive results (focused execution, technical expertise)
- Ability to proactively identify cost savings opportunities and innovative service delivery approaches (analytical thinking, operational discipline)
- Ability to clearly communicate complex technical ideas and persuade key constituents regarding technology investment decisions (communication, collaboration skills)