BuzzFeed is looking for a sharp, self-motivated Director, Audience Development to deepen our engagement with our most loyal audience and expand our portfolio of newsletter products. The ideal candidate will have proven experience growing email newsletter and messaging programs as measured by an increase in subscribers, an increase in newsletter-driven traffic to the website, and an increase in revenue tied to a newsletter and messaging product.
S/he will also understand how to create smart segmentation strategies, taking BuzzFeed’s current list and identifying effective ways to better target editorial content to readers. Experience in commerce-driven newsletters is a plus, though not required.
This job is based in our New York City office, and we offer competitive compensation and benefits and a stock option program.
- Work with top editors to achieve editorial excellence across our newsletter products with a focus on voice, originality, accuracy, humor and BuzzFeed’s wealth of editorial content
- Incorporate strong, engaging visuals—illustration, graphic design, and photography—into our newsletters
- Ideate, lead and follow marketing strategies and experiments to grow newsletters
- Oversee the creation and curation of multiple daily newsletter products
- Oversee campaign management for newsletter advertising products
- Develop and collaborate on new newsletter-based advertising products
- A/B test new content, subject lines and other variables to optimize results
- Master BuzzFeed’s unique email experiences and journeys
- Master the site’s web analytics and our distributed strengths and identify opportunities for growth based on data and industry trends
- Coordinate effective audience development and promotion of subscriber acquisition through social media strategy, on-site placement, and partner relationships
- Conceive of and execute special newsletter offerings on key trends and events that are popular with readers and align with the site’s business goals
- Embrace innovation and constantly look for new ways to present stories to BuzzFeed readers
- Leverage prior experience creating or working with lifestyle content
- Take ownership of big projects and to do the work to get products launched on deadline
- Curiosity and willingness to do deep research and analysis of what's working and what isn't
- Able to take perspectives of others and collaborate with lots of players across our growing business, content teams, initiatives and our newsroom
- 3+ years' experience managing email newsletters or similar digital products, preferably for a major media company
- Experience with testing subject lines, content and other calls to action
- Comfort with best practices and strategies for conversion optimization
- Experience with developing audiences across web, mobile and social properties
- Demonstrated mastery of web analytics, including newsletter analytics such as click-to-open rates
- Familiar with deliverability metrics (soft vs hard bounces) and experience troubleshooting deliverability issues
- Experience with ESP services like SailThru, Campaign Monitor, Mail Chimp or Emma or similar software that favors heavy experimentation
- Experience working closely and collaboratively with editorial, advertising, engineering, video and design teams
- Strong organizational skills, self-directed work style, and polished communication skills
- Our ideal candidate will be fascinated by all things Internet and BuzzFeed.