Reporting to the SVP, Assessment Solutions, this position is responsible for the strategic direction and coordination of activities related to the creation, production, quality control, and distribution of HESI testing and review materials for Nursing and Health Professions programs. The Director leads teams of experienced nurse educators and health profession experts in developing assessment products which support pre-licensure students in achieving their nursing or health career goals.
Product Development and Project Management - Responsible for directing teams of nurse educators and HP content experts in the creation of HESI exams and review/remediation products. Manages multiple ongoing projects and deliverables.
Process/Product Improvement - Recommends changes in exam content and processes, based on research findings and feedback from faculty and content experts. Surveys nursing and higher education literature for changes in practice that affect test item content, exam creation, and test bank maintenance. Expected to be a subject matter expert on the topic of NCLEX exams, including current NCSBN initiatives, test plans, and trends. Collaborates with HESI psychometricians to assure valid and reliable HESI exam products. Monitors HESI item banks to assure new content is filling gaps.
Management of Exam Creation - Establishes item bank categories and scoring categories. Creates, maintains, and edits test items and exams. Coordinates item bank assignments for item writers. Serves as the resident “approver” of items and exams prior to being deployed to production use.
Leadership - Responsible for the hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation of the testing, review, and research content teams. Maintains a strategic, customer-driven perspective when interacting with teams. Serves on HESI leadership team and responsible for contributing to the strategic goals for HESI. Sets challenging goals for self and others. Develops testing and review solutions consistent with business goals and strategies. Creates or revises operational policies and processes related to content creation and exam management. Evaluates product performance data to take reasoned action. Leverages formal and informal network effectively. Represents Elsevier Assessment solutions clearly and with impact at internal meetings and at external professional meetings by disseminating information about product development and supporting research.
Assessment Sales and Marketing Support - Provides product support services to internal staff, development partners, sales reps, and faculty for issues surrounding the use, and the reliability and validity of Assessment solutions. Is sought out due to in-depth knowledge and experience. Support sales force in problem solving and resolution of customer issues related to the use of HESI products. Effectively addresses ambiguities. Responds to customer inquiries related to testing, review, remediation, and research. Promotes adoption and use of Assessment solutions. Communicates with faculty as needed for clarification of testing needs and to support the sales process. Serves in a peer-to-peer role with faculty.
Business Management - Executes Elsevier’s Assessment Solutions business plan and achieves stated goals. Articulates Elsevier HR and business policies to direct reports. Provides periodic and timely reports and data to senior management regarding team and product performance.
What you should bring
- Doctoral degree in nursing or related field (PhD preferred; EdD or DNS acceptable)
- A current Registered Nursing License (without any stipulations)
- A minimum of 3 years of teaching experience in an academic nursing or health professions education program is preferred. Use of online learning management systems while in teaching role preferred.
- Familiarity with nursing and health care curricula, NCLEX and other registry/certification preparation materials
- Strong background in review and testing
- Understanding of current trends in key health professions areas such as Medical assisting, Dental assisting, Radiology technology
- Experience working in a for-profit business organization as a collaborative team member with colleagues in sales, marketing, technology, etc., desired
- Detail oriented with excellent and effective verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Refined analytic skills in evaluating program and project outcomes
- Familiarity (and high comfort level) with various computer systems and item analysis/item banking software programs
- Strong interpersonal skills required; Strong communication/ negotiation and problem solving skills required
- Established leadership skills in strategic thinking, project management, team building, and personnel management
- Robust network to national and regional nursing leaders highly desirable
- Some travel required to represent HESI or present findings at regional, national, and international health professions conferences.
What we offer
We welcome you to a truly global, dynamic and challenging environment with great opportunities to develop yourself. Elsevier’s benefits are very competitive and the summary below will give you an idea of the kind of things you can expect when joining Elsevier.
- A competitive base salary
- Full benefits package, including;
- Insurance: Health, Dental, Life, Accident, Pet, etc.
- Retirement: 401(K) plan, including a company match and Employee Stock Purchase
- Disability: Long-term, short-term
- Work / Life balance: Volunteer programs, Tuition and Adoption Assistance
- Paid Vacation, Personal and Sick days as well as paid holidays
- For additional information, please inquire