Under the direction of the Associate Executive Director, the Director of Aquatics administers the policies, procedures and programs of the branch relating to aquatics. This position also supervises all aquatic personnel and is ultimately responsible for swimming pool and aquatic safety as well as swimming pool maintenance and mechanical/chemical operations. The Director of Aquatics has staff supervision, budget accountability, fundraising accountability, membership engagement accountability and program development, delivery and evaluation responsibility. Key deliverables ensure that YMCA programs and services in the aquatics department will be administered in a values-centered, mission driven, high quality environment which is centered on member service. This position is also responsible for the direct oversight of the YMCA Swim Team, Swim Lessons, Safety and Lifeguard Classes, and Branch Certifications. Experience in USA Swimming and Certified Pool Operator (CPO) designation is preferred.
The Ed Isakson/Alpharetta Family YMCA is located in Alpharetta, Georgia. Home to over 600 technology companies, the city is often referred to as the Technology City of the South.” Alpharetta is a growing, vibrant and diverse Southern city with nationally-ranked schools, low unemployment and a high quality of life. The branch also serves 4 surrounding municipalities in North Fulton County: Johns Creek, Roswell, Milton, and Mountain Park. Starting as a non-facility, community-based program branch in 1984, the Y grew with the needs of the community, opening a full facility in 1998, followed by two subsequent expansions.
EFFECT ON END RESULT: This position has a primary impact on the overall effectiveness of the aquatics department and the success of programs and services to the community. The effectiveness of this position is primarily measured by the sound department administration, the stated satisfaction of members and staff, and a sound fiscal position of the department.
Ergonomics: Sitting, bending, stooping, standing, 15% repetitive keyboard work, seeing, verbal communications, lift up to 25 pounds.
- A Bachelor’s degreerequired in a related field required.
- Two (2) or more years related aquatics supervision, pool operation, and training and development of high performing teams.
- Certified Pool Operatorpreferred.
- Must have a background in staff team development and relationship management.
- Seeks, cultivates and supervises volunteers.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Hands on experience with utilizing data to make an informed decisions.
- Personal commitment to service and hospitality.
- If internal to the YMCA, must have a YMCA Team Leader Certification.
- Recruit, hire, train, develop, schedule, supervise, and evaluate the Aquatics employees and volunteers.
- Develop and implement a plan to attract and recruit new members and corporate partnerships.
- Conduct pilots for new programs; develop plans and manage best practices through engagement of the staff team.
- Effectively manage budgets; hold staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
- Foster a climate of innovation.
- Monitor progress towards branch’s goals by running and reviewing all necessary reports.
- Lead the Y’s presence at community outreach events with an aquatics focus.
- Coordinate marketing efforts to maximize enrollments and provides ongoing support to the Associate Executive Director on related issues.
- Collaborate with the Association key departments to lead, coordinate and support implementation of key initiatives related to marketing, social media and communications, human resources and financial development.
- Serve as a key staff leader to the annual fundraising campaign.
Critical competencies based on needs specific to role:
- Plan, implement, and manage the swim lesson program with a member centered focus.
- Plan, implement, and manage the Alpharetta Sting Swim Team program including recruitment of volunteers and swim meet coordination.
- Creates and manages a yearly aquatic budget.
- Must be knowledgeable of and maintain all mechanical and chemical functions of the indoor pool, whirlpool and outdoor pool areas.
- Serve on the Association Aquatics Cabinet.
- In collaboration with the Associate Executive Director, lead the risk management and emergency procedures for the aquatics areas and the facility.