Sealed Air is seeking a driven leader to lead the Americas Applications Engineering department focused on developing new products for the packaging industry with the ability to understand packaging materials interaction with the customer's packaging equipment and the packaged product.
In addition to the development new product solutions, this role is tasked with supporting our base of business by training, trouble-shooting, and communicating the performance of our solutions to both internal stakeholders and our customers.
The qualified candidate will develop and implement a strategy of analytical excellence, fitness-for-use testing, communication and influencing excellence, and provide strategic direction for the Applications Engineering/Expert Team. This individual will manage direct reports, develop improved processes, and oversee in the execution of many customer facing initiatives.
- Develop employees' technical and professional skills in the areas of packaging materials (plastic films, urethane foams, low density polyethylene foams, paper, etc.), food science, packaging engineering, and packaging equipment.
- Develop employees' customer intimacy skills focused on various soft skills, sales skills, and influencing techniques to drive collaboration that speeds up the implementation and growth of Sealed Air's solutions.
- Lead multiple teams to provide technical solutions to customers, external vendors, field representatives, and the broader Innovation & Development (Research & Development) organization through on-site customer support and visits to other Sealed Air facilities.
- Serve as a strategic partner to the teams of Sales, Marketing & Portfolio, Finance, Manufacturing, and Purchasing to both develop and deliver the entire strategy that is required to support the totality of the business.
- Work with the Applications Team to develop, design, and run trials that validate the reliability of the equipment, materials, and their interactions in order to provide the most robust solution to our customers.
- Lead the creation of value-propositions and competitive intelligence for Sealed Air's developmental solutions driving credible project definition and scoping documents.
- Develop and lead front end intelligence gathering on the customer's floor driving the next innovations for Sealed Air.
- Provide strategic ideas that drive the enhancement of current product lines or the development of new product lines to expedite increased profitability.
- Partner with the Materials & Process Engineering Team, the Sustainability Team, the Equipment Teams, and Supply Chain to transfer technologies regionally and globally once developed.
- Provide thought leadership as senior leader focused on innovative solutions that allow Sealed Air to come up with the next break through innovations in packaging.
- Prioritize tasks and motivate employees to accomplish objectives timely with high quality.
- Interview, hire, coach, and develop direct reports.
- Participate in merger and acquisition strategies for Sealed Air's as required.
- Work effectively within a matrix managed organization.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in a science, engineering or packaging discipline.
- Master's degree in a technical discipline is preferred.
- Minimum of eight years professional experience.
- Flexible travel domestically and internationally, at least 25%.
- Excellent people management/development skills with prior supervisory experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience creating data-driven reports to communicate technical ideas.
- Ability to effectively present concepts and ideas.
- Experience managing multiple tasks, often with competing deadlines.
- Professional, highly-motivated, reliable, and solutions-orientated.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and a work ethic that correspond with Sealed Air's core values.
- Demonstrated success in building high-performance teams and attracting/retaining best-in-class technical and leadership talent.
- Proved track record of opportunity identification and translating ideas into significant commercial success.
- Proven business acumen facilitating collaboration across functions, regions, and business segments.
- Ability to work globally with appropriate sensitivities to cultures, business practices, etc.