This position will be responsible for the delivery of the Enterprise Identity Framework across the enterprise. The Director provides leadership and guidance to several Service Management Teams and direct leadership of professional staff. They are accountable for several key functions within the IT department that enable the delivery of high-quality service to end users, and to ensure service support and delivery processes are in place to meet current and strategic business needs.
The primary accountability for this role is to, with their team, develop and ensure the services and support models supplied by internal Unum Group IT functions and external 3rd party suppliers operate to the expectation of the published services. The role works with their team to implement and deliver on new solutions to enable, enhance or transform service management capabilities and services. This leader must have a passion for continuous improvement and will be instrumental in the development and implementation of new ideas to further enhance ITIL processes.
This role serves as the primary liaison between Unum Group and theinternal and external service providers. They are also the primary liaison between the business and agreed IT functions. This is a stakeholder-facing role and requires establishing and managing expectations within the business and driving the IT team to achieve those expectations to a high standard.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads multiple Service Management teams and/or a team of professional Service Management staff members.
- Takes a leading role in working with projects, the business and internal/external IT service providers to develop Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and Operational Support models when new services are delivered or reviewed.
- Acts as the service integration point for service providers for Operational Readiness when operational changes associated with services are required.
- Has a detailed understanding of the service construct and critical metrics (SLAs, KPIs, etc.) to be able to evaluate and review service performance and technical information provided by the service suppliers.
- Inspires suppliers to higher levels of performance.
- Demonstrates creativity and innovation in applying solutions for the benefit of the customer or stakeholder; promotes same attitude to the service providers.
- Has accountability for the smooth implementation of change into the production environment by ensuring ITIL disciplines are followed.
- Works closely with other enterprise service delivery areas; has accountability for managing any priority incidents, including communication to the business, and driving root cause analysis and resolution to ensure continued and improved service.
- Has the skills and ability to assess service health and bring together relevant parties to resolve service impediments impacting service performance.
- Provides meaningful reporting as agreed with the business to track service delivery and identify areas for improvement.
- Ensures service delivery through planning and prioritization activities with their team, the business, PMO, and internal/external IT service providers.
- Collaborating with IT leadership across various disciplines, provides guidance, direction or recommendations to address a wide range of business and technology needs, with emphasis on optimized, timely and successful service.
- In collaboration with their manager, initiates and influences relationships with and between key stakeholders; manages and implements IT plans; and acts as a point of contact for stakeholders, planners, designers, and operational business partners.
- Acts as the primary point of contact for the business groups to agreed IT functions, and vice versa.
- Drives continual improvement of the capabilities and the delivery of services across IT teams in their functional area; ensures a cohesive, high-quality service is seen by the business by working closely with other IT teams across the enterprise to ensure service.
- Works closely with other Service Delivery Directors across the group to ensure consistency of services and ITIL disciplines across the enterprise, and identification and delivery of service improvement plans.
- Effectively delivers and manages staff including: recruitment, mentoring, training, target setting, and performance assessment.
- Bachelors degree in computer science, or relevant technical experience
- Has 8+ years experience in an IT field, or equivalent relevant work experience
- Demonstrates leadership in executing IT plans successfully that enable technical or business capabilities and address technology or business priorities
- Experienced Service Manager, running and driving ITIL processes
- Has expert knowledge of ITIL disciplines
- ITIL qualified
- Has experience in leading teams/projects, including virtual teams; prior management experience is preferred
- Has experience of managing 3rd parties and 3rd party delivered services
- Has experience in service management or support in a large-scale and diverse environment of incident management, escalation procedures and related disciplines
- Competent in strategic thinking with strong relationship management skills
- Able to communicate a compelling vision and need for change that generates excitement, enthusiasm, and commitment to the process
- Demonstrates strategic and critical thinking capability
- Has the proven ability to determine what constitutes successful delivery of a service
- Demonstrates excellent customer facing service skills
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills at all levels of contact and in a wide variety of situations
- Demonstrates leadership and influencing skills
- Has strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Uses strong technical background and understanding to present and discuss technical information in a way that establishes rapport and sustains credibility with IT
- Able to evaluate processes and technology to measure customer quality and satisfaction
- Has effective problem solving, collaboration, influencing, and conflict management skills
- Has experience in service delivery when the service is constructed of multiple sub-services provided by multiple suppliers. e.g. Cloud (public, private, & hybrid)
- Demonstrates strong application development partnering skills
- Understands Agile/Lean leadership principles
- Exhibits courage by taking smart risks and encouraging others to do so; empowers innovative approaches by motivating others to be proactive and resourceful
- Able to champion change and support service provide teams through change
- Able to think critically, challenge conventional thinking, and generate and apply unique business insight to create competitive advantage for the organization
- Has a passion for service improvement
- Willing to support and mentor junior staff