Director Application Architecture, Integration & Quality Assurance
The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
This role primarily focuses on the requirements gathering, design, specification and solutioning of business applications, application integration, data archiving and quality assurance (QA) systems and processes. The Application Architecture role is responsible for Smithfield’s overall application portfolio through all phases of the application lifecycle and is a key member of the Enterprise Architecture team.
As a key member of the Enterprise Application function at Smithfield, this role will partner with IT Business Relationship Managers (BRM) to select and design applications with the total portfolio in mind. They will select tools to aid the IT team to be more agile and repeatable. Examples include, testing tools, release management, SAP tools. They will work through all phases of the application lifecycle to provide solution architecture services and data and integration services. They will be responsible for the portfolio of applications including sun setting applications and archiving data to allow for savings to be realized. They will own the ongoing SAP archiving strategy and management of data. This role will be setting the standards for solution architecture, integration and data services at Smithfield.
Smithfield’s current portfolio of business applications is SAP centric which is complemented by various other critical applications. These SAP applications include S4\HANA, Transportation Management, Business Warehouse (BW), Human Capital Management (HCM), Process Orchestration (PO), Governance Risk & Compliance (GRC) and other SAP applications and services. The Application Architect will be responsible for developing a roadmap to maximizes Smithfield investment in SAP.
This role is responsible for Vendor relations with SAP’s MaxAttention services and other external partners related to quality assurance and data services. Effective partnership and teamwork with internal and external IT and business partners is key to the success of this position.
As our company is evolving to ‘One Smithfield’, IT is delivering applications that serve the enterprise, not just one Operating Company. Smithfield isgrowing through acquisition and building out and consolidating our current assets so we are in growth mode while maintaining some legacy. Application Services now impact a much larger user base so it is critical that applications are architected properly in development and continuously validated in production to avoid costly downtime or performance degradation.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Works closely with the Solutions Architecture and Infrastructure Team and external hosting providers and consultants, to design application systems.
- Responsible for establishing and architecting data services for application and information integration by creating the processes and selecting tools for data integration.
- Develops patterns for data, application and integration services to ensure best practice, reusability and sustainable standards to be used in solutions.
- Responsible for the Enterprise Data Archiving Strategy and Platform. The position will oversee the external partners implementing the data archiving platform.
- Ensures designs for integration among applications; adheres to standards and best practices.
- Develops a Quality Assurance strategy that involves automated testing tools, managing external partners and vendor management. The goal is to better manage the testing phase for projects, minimize the amount of testing time required from business users, and provide an ongoing testing mechanism to proactively identify issues before there is a production impact.
- Organizes a Quality Assurance Team to execute the testing strategy. This will require sourcing, managing external partners and managing vendors who will help develop the QA process and procedures and their integration with the project management and application management lifecycle. Including managing the implementation of QA automation tools. Tools include Uperform, HP ALM, etc. Ensures applications are tested (regression, performance and integration).
- Works with Business Relationship managers and applications to ensure test scripts and plans are updated and relevant through the application service delivery.
- Diligently maintains application architecture diagrams and documentation in a consistent manner.
- Leads the effort to create detailed specifications for new applications. This will involve collaboration with Business Relationship Managers (BRM), Solutions Architecture and Infrastructure Team and functional consultants.
- Assists in the identifying of opportunities to implement enterprise platforms and services that will bridge capability gaps in our application portfolio.
- Drives continuous improvement for application service delivery, using metrics and data.
- Partners with cross channel teams to identify opportunities and supports the development of new sustainable best practice approaches.
- Assists in the development of an annual plan that aligns with the business and the application support function.
- Identifies, delivers and documents the required artifacts to make solutions available, including strategy collateral, technical roadmaps, position statements, policies, standards, concepts and logical specifications.
- After the architecture phase, actively consults throughout the application execution phases, including design, engineering, migration, implementation and operations. Feeds implementation and operational challenges back into architectural opportunities.
- Participates as a member of the Architectural Review Board.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's Degree in business, computer information systems, management information systems computer science or related field from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 8+ years of experience in IT; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum of 6 years of experience in an IT leadership role with specific emphasis and deep working knowledge and experience in the effective support of IT applications.
Working experience and knowledge of end-to-end IT software and systems solution delivery from idea conception, design, development and transition into production operations and maintenance.
Ability to lead and manage under conditions of ambiguity and uncertainty. Proven organizational skills in working across organizational boundaries and reporting lines - ability to work in a matrix environment as required.
Experience with SAP S4/HANA and SAP Platform Landscape including resource management of SAP modules including Finance (FI/CO), Business Planning (BPC), Business Warehouse (BW), Business Objects, Data Services, Procurement, Inventory & Warehouse Management, Transportation Management, Production Planning, Success Factors and Business Intelligence and Simple Finance.
Experience with SAP Vendor management and ongoing SAP production troubleshooting.
Data service and integration architecting experience using SAP BODS (Business Objects Data Services), SLT and SDA (Smart Data Access) to extract structured/unstructured data from different source systems into HANA.
Experience with Archiving data from core ERP systems to secondary or near line data tools and systems.
Experience with testing phases of Application projects and familiarity with automated testing tools.
Demonstrated discipline, analytical skills, problem-solving abilities and attention to details.
Demonstrated ability to understand system capabilities and ability to find ways to improve system performance.
Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to effectively communicate with peers and executive leadership.
Strong leadership and management skills that align with the Smithfield culture. Specific skills include facilitating change, driving operational excellence, and striving for continuous improvement.
Experience with project management.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Specific vision includes close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, use hands to handle, or feel, and talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Corporate working environment.
- Noise level in the work environment is moderate.