Manulife Financial is a leading financial services company with principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States. In the United States, we are known as John Hancock Financial Services. Our Global Agile Office is looking for a Director, Agile Learning and Community Engagement / Lead Agile Coach to help lead Manulife’s journey towards becoming an Agile organization. Ideal candidates will have experience building and delivering significant capability development/learning programs, as well as enabling communities to collaborate and learn together.
The Director, Agile Learning and Community / Lead Agile Coach will build and execute on a comprehensive capability development strategy which includes building and launching e-learning, and virtual classroom-based learning as well as establishing a series of role-based competency tools. The role will also focus on engaging the agile community in both the training which they require and also through community engagement events and communication activities which help them build their internal network and enable cross-team collaboration.
As a Lead Agile Coach, this role will be an enabler of Agile at all levels of the organization and will focus on strategic transformation with senior leadership, management and squad level stakeholders. They will also be contributing to the global growth of Agile, alongside divisional Agile Centres of Excellence (COEs) who provide localized coaching and transformation enablement.
- Build and manage comprehensive training curricula including role specific classroom training for Leaders, Product Owners, Scrum Masters and Agile Coaches
- Deliver Agile Training to audiences including Agile Squad members, key roles and Senior Leaders
- Build and manage the e-learning curriculum including inhouse built content, as well as curating content from our learning partner platforms
- Plan and co-ordinate monthly events to bring the Agile community together to learn, share and collaborate
- Establish and facilitate Global Community of Practice for Leadership (quarterly meet-up events)
- Gather ongoing data and sentiment from community to drive continuous improvement
- Partner with members of the community to create and publish monthly blog articles highlighting outcomes achieved in each segment
- Establish monthly communications and engagement plan with themes per month. Align all COEs with theme to drive greater messaging (e.g. PO Month, Metrics Month, Scaling Month etc.)
- Establish metrics and approach to measuring success of Community and Engagement focused efforts
- Improve Global Agile Office Yammer Site and Global Agile Portal to promote events and act as the home for key content and blog items to be published
- Establish and roll out segment Communities of Practice approach to each segment (Scrum Master, PO)
- Coach and mentor leaders and senior executives in Agile mindset and approaches to enable their groups and help them become hands on advocates of the practices
- Establish and execute strategic initiatives which drive adoption and maturity across the organization enabled through partnership with business unit specific COEs. Provide oversight and reporting to track the progress and execution of strategy, monitor and report on what is working and what is not working. Provide transparency of risks and progress. Define and report on benefits and their realization.
- Collaborate with divisional Agile COE leaders and other capability COEs to enable further alignment of end to end delivery framework and common taxonomy and practices across divisions
- Develop and deliver compelling content and training materials that lead toward the organization-wide adoption of Agile methodologies and target cultural behaviors and outcomes
Key Shared Accountabilities:
- Establish reusable approach and activate global and segment Agile Communities of Practice
- Establish shared vision and alignment across segments on terminology, taxonomy and operating models
- Lead and facilitate Manulife's Global Agile Office's transformation efforts
- Participate in cross-divisional Agile transformation activities
- Demonstrate real business value with the evolution toward enhanced agility (e.g. improvement to business KPIs and Employee Engagement scores)
- 10+ years in Project Management roles using Agile and Traditional methods. Experience as a Developer, Tester, Scrum Master, Product Owner or Business Analyst
- 5+ years Agile coaching/consulting experience with teams that are new to Agile practices
- 2+ years executive level coaching and engagement in a large enterprise setting
- Clear knowledge and ability to articulate and visualize a variety of Agile methodologies (e.g. Scrum, Kanban, SAFe etc.)
- Knowledge of and experience using Learning Management Systems like Cornerstone, other learning Learning Platforms like LinkedIn, and communications tools like Yammer, Office 365, MS Teams and Mural
- Ability to engage with senior executive leadership and management teams to drive Agile enablement and overcome common adoption/maturity challenges
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills including written content development; able to effectively articulate a vision, strategy and execution plans
- Significant experience in facilitation & mentorship; able to coach at various levels in the organization (C-Suite to individual contributors)
- Familiarity with common Agile tools (JIRA, Rally, Confluence, LeanKit, etc.)