GATX: Who are we?
We are known worldwide as a leader in leasing transportation assets and control one of the largest railcar fleets in the world. The key to our long-term growth and success is attracting and retaining the most talented people from around the world.
We seek individuals who are creative, intuitive, driven, intellectually curious and eager to join a dynamic organization where high-quality work, collaboration and dedication are deeply woven into the corporate culture.
How will you make an impact?
Establish the Company’s accounting policies and procedures, monitor changes to GAAP and related SEC financial reporting standards, and determine appropriate accounting treatment for investments and other transactions. Support the Controller and CFO, and interface with external auditors and regulators, to ensure appropriate adoption of new accounting standards and requirements.
What are your key activities?
- Oversee the establishment and ongoing maintenance of the Company’s accounting and financial reporting policies and procedures in accordance with U.S. GAAP. Work closely with business unit and corporate departments to ensure accounting policies are effective.
- Lead the Company’s technical accounting research and accounting memo authorship on various business matters including the preparation of technical accounting positions and interpretation of accounting policies for proposed transactions and investments, strategic initiatives and complex accounting inquiries; Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders, including external accountants, to understand specific facts and circumstances in determining the most appropriate accounting treatment.
- Support Accounting and Financial Reporting functions, ensuring the financial statements and disclosures are in conformity with U.S. GAAP, with particular emphasis on compliance with new accounting pronouncements and requirements – including requirements that result from changes to GATX’s business (e.g. M&A activity).
- Responsible for proactive monitoring and interpretation of new and proposed accounting standards, financial reporting and regulatory requirements to determine impact to the Company and lead implementation efforts for relevant changes affecting the organization. Update Company policies, procedures as required, and lead training efforts as necessary.
- Represent GATX at the ELFA and Railcar Leasing coalition, and other industry groups as deemed appropriate, with respect to accounting matters.
- Special projects as assigned by the Controller, CFO, and CEO related to accounting and financial reporting matters.
What is required of you?
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance. CPA required. MBA or Masters in Accounting preferred.
- 8-10 years of relevant experience, including Big 4 public accounting. Multinational public company experience a plus. Experience interpreting and applying U.S. GAAP for complex transactions required. Financial services/lease accounting experience also desired.
- Expert knowledge in U.S. GAAP for various financial services products including, but not limited to, leases and leased equipment, loans, allowance for losses, equity investments, joint ventures, debt, stock, foreign currency-denominated transactions, consolidation, guarantees, warrants, and derivatives.
- Typical systems skills (Excel, Word, Power-point).
What are we looking for?
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Strong writing skills (documentation of accounting opinions; policies/procedures).
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.