The Director, Accounting Operations manages the operational teams responsible for processing all financial transactions for Headquarters and Komen Affiliates, including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, Treasury, and General Ledger teams. This role serves as accounting and financial expert and provides work direction and technical guidance for the operational accounting teams. Serve as the primary contact for internal and external customers for all accounting operational problem solving and process improvements.
- Guide timely and accurate recording of Headquarters and Affiliate Payroll, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Treasury transactions and reviews team’s work including problem solving of all unusual circumstances across multiple business units.
- Review reconciliations on a monthly basis to ensure the consistent application of generally accepted accounting principles and 501(c)(3) implications under the Internal Revenue Code.
- Collaborate with Affiliates, Affiliate Network, and Internal Auditors to identify issues, concerns, or opportunities related to operational accounting processes and works to improve processes to maximize compliance and efficiency.
- Develop, implement and manage systems for reporting Headquarters and Affiliate financial data, including Federal and state income taxes and state sales and use taxes.
- Work with Information Technology, and other departments as needed, to maximize existing technology and identify new technology to ensure Headquarters and Affiliate financial and reporting requirements continue to be met as business needs change.
- Oversee, develop and/or maintain content for Affiliate Shared Services Manual and supporting Desktop Reference Guides.
- Direct the implementation of new/revised Accounting department policies and procedures.
- Manage the accounting operations team. Ensure performance reviews are conducted in a timely manner, coach staff and demonstrate commitment to growth and development of staff.
- Coordinate year end close process and external audit for all accounting operational areas with oversight responsibility. Assist with external audit for all areas with oversight responsibility.
- Ensure compliance with all state, federal and other applicable regulations for all external payments including payroll and accounts payable.
- Maintain relationships with Komen vendors including 3 Partner Banks, ADP, and Trintech. This includes communicating with banks on Affiliate banking issues.
Minimum Experience Required
The successful candidate will have:
• BS or BA in Accounting or Finance
• 10+ years of directly-related accounting experience
• 5+ years of managerial experience
• Advance MS Office Skills, particularly using Excel spreadsheets
• Prior experience with ERP banking modules, especially PeopleSoft is desirable
• Strong written and verbal communication skills to provide consultative guidance to others at all levels organization-wide.
• CPA and experience in a nonprofit environment
• Working knowledge of PeopleSoft and Salesforce considered a plus
Specialized Knowledge Requirements
• ERP systems such as PeopleSoft, SAP
• Payroll Systems such as ADP Workforce Now
• Microsoft Office Suite with strong Excel and PowerPoint.