The Account Vice President (AVP) isresponsible for generating new and repeat business with clients, leading account and operations teams that service clients, providing strategic insights and planning, and overallfinancial oversight of his/her assigned accounts. The AVP manages one or moreAccount Supervisors/Project Leaders as applicable, and serves as a key strategic resource to theinternal management team. Job Responsibilities:
- Sales/New Business: As the senior member of the account team, the AVP is responsible for generating business from new and assigned accounts to a given target annually. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, lead generation, relationship marketing, lead follow up, RFP responses, leading pitches, asset planning, upselling within existing clients, etc.
- Client Management: As the senior client-facing account person, drive a team culture that is committed to understanding client needs and delivering excellence while managing client expectations around timelines. The AVP should drive timely delivery of proposals, SOWs, invoices, and work with client to secure signed SOWs to start work and recognize revenue in a timely way.
- Client Strategic Resource: Serve as the senior account strategist on client teams, setting up strategic ideation to support brand plans, launches, and the strategic section of pitches. Lead strategy work on a day-to-day basis for clients. Drive innovation and “big ideas” based on client needs and personal knowledge and expertise. Leverage other internal resources as necessary in Medical, Strategy, Digital, Design, etc.
- Operations/Delivery: As a team leader, direct the delivery organization to cast vision, provide overall direction on client needs, and help the larger account team to balance the needs of clients with a realistic assessment of what the account and delivery teams can feasibly deliver. Ensure the account team is sharing client needs with the delivery team to assure resource availability and planning.
- Strategic Resource/ Subject Matter Expert: As a senior manager with deep subject matter expertise, drive innovation through sharing client learnings and ideas for innovation with other account teams and managers as appropriate.
- Financial Oversight: As the senior manager of the account team, provide overall direction and oversight of client financials, including proposals, SOWs, invoicing, revenue, and sales projections. Ensure the account team is providing information to clients (invoicing, accruals) and the internal finance teams in a timely way using the appropriate systems, templates, pricing grids, etc.. The AVP should drive project profitability through following pricing guidelines and hours estimates in SOWs, requesting change orders from clients when appropriate and supporting the use of internal resources over freelance partners as much as possible.
- As a Manager, the employee is expected to recognize the importance of and create a culture of process improvement with a focus on streamlining our processes adding value to our business and meeting client needs. This includes driving team adoption and adherence to use of systems such as WorkZone, Oracle, SalesForce, etc.
- Recognize, exemplify and adhere to ICON's values which center around our commitment to People, Clients and Performance.
- As a member of staff, the employee is expected to embrace and contribute to our culture of process improvement with a focus on streamlining our processes adding value to our business and meeting client needs.
- Travel (approximately 30%) domestic and/or international.
- Manage one or more Account Supervisors/Project Leaders, delegating day-to-day management of key client and delivery responsibilities and functions listed above to focus on business development and strategy
- Provide overall direction and vision to larger virtual teams created to service specific clients and/or projects
- Mentor direct reports to help them grow to meet clients needs and meet their personal career objectives
Experience Skills, Knowledge Requirements:
To perform the AVP role successfully, the individual in the role must meet the requirements and possess the skills and knowledge listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 8-10 years communication, sales, and/or account experience in a healthcare related advertising/communications agency or pharmaceutical industry consisting of a fast-paced, high-volume service environment
- Subject matter expertise in a number of key areas covered by medical communications, publications, scientific strategy
- Ability to prioritize and organize work, meet deadlines, multitask and successfully function within a team setting is required.
- Excellent presentation, negotiation and problem-solving skills preferred.
- Ability to work within Microsoft suite of business software and ability to learn new software systems necessary to job function; Ability to work within Adobe Acrobat
- Must be detail-oriented and work well within a team environment providing proper leadership and build a positive collaborative environment while assigning appropriate work streams
- Synthesize complex or diverse information and data
- Familiarity with budgeting and reporting
- Experience in project management
- Ability to adjust to changing priorities
- Provide quality customer service both proactive and reactive; Identify areas of potential problems and offer creative solutions
A bachelor’s degree in business or a related field at minimum; an advanced degree in business, communications, public health, health administration, pharmacy, etc. a plus