Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Disability Claims, this role will oversee day-to-day operations of our Absence Management (FMLA, PFL, ADA, etc.) & Integrated Short Term Disability claims teams. Responsibilities include contributing to the development of overall Absence Management product, claims and technology strategy. Direct responsibilities include claims team staffing and oversight, development of claim handling standards, collaboration with internal partners such as field leadership, compliance, implementation, clinical and quality assurance.
The essential functions and responsibilities of this job position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Set claims strategy and direction of Sun Life’s absence management/ short-term disability integrated product and service offerings, adjusting as needed according to employee, customer and business needs and industry norms.
- Improve the overall effectiveness of Sun Life’s absence management/ short-term disability product offerings. Recommend annual product and service goals, develop and monitor budget.
- Monitor market, legal and regulatory environment; determine responses to external sales inquiries; develop disability management policy, programs and services to maintain the company’s competitive position in the marketplace.
- Develop efficient and accurate system support and financial controls. Establish risk tolerance and control environment.
- Support Sales effort to contribute to the sale and retention of business. Work effectively with Marketing to develop and promote products and services.
- Manage the short-term disability teams where the product is aligned with FMLA. Develop strong team members, engage employees and create new leaders. This means identifying high potential team members, providing continual coaching and mentoring.
- Engage in ongoing communication and team building.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- BA/BS in Business, Human Resources, Health Services or related discipline. MBA preferred
- Minimum 7- 10 years of disability product exposure and/or claim administration with at least 2 years of FMLA and broader leave management application.
- Thorough working knowledge of: Absence management programs that have been implemented by employers of various sizes including short term disability, statutory disability, long term disability, federal and statutory leaves including those related to the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), paid family leave plans, statutory leaves and company specific leaves and the process links with workers compensation, employee assistance plans, vocational rehabilitation, return to work and other health and productivity initiatives; understanding of plan design, process and funding as it relates to all benefit plans
- Advanced knowledge of: Best practices of other service providers within competitive absence management offerings; Regulations surrounding disability and workforce issues (e.g., ADA, ADEA, etc.)
- Experienced business leader with a demonstrated track record of successfully leading teams and achieving business results
- Experience managing multiple functions in a geographically dispersed organization.
- Collaborative and comfortable navigating in cross-functional organizations with matrixed accountabilities.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skills, especially in client situations and with employee meetings.
- Ability to travel moderately to support business meetings and maintain a strong leadership presence across claims multiple locations.
- Excellent presentation and speaking skills
- Must demonstrate good judgment and possess a high level of integrity and sensitivity to confidential information. Strong organizational skills and technical knowledge
- Demonstrated leadership, coaching, influencing and teamwork skills
- Computer literacy, including working knowledge of MS Office Products.
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills