Supervise the activities and personnel of the tax department to assure minimum legal tax expense through ethical means for the benefit of StanCorp Financial Group (SFG) and all operating subsidiaries. Provide tax expertise with respect to the impact of federal, state and local tax regulations on the Company’s current operations. Develop and provide annual long-term plans and periodic financial analyses to all levels of management in support of strategic business decisions.
- Oversee accounting for federal, state and local income taxes, including joint ventures, partnerships, and limited liability companies along with guaranty association assessments. Review and prepare analysis of the utilization of carry-forwards and effective rate analysis supported by GAAP, statutory and other authoritative literature. Develop accrual models of tax rate, to forecast future tax burdens. Interact with and support external auditors as part of their review of footnotes and tax provisions.
- Supervise corporate tax compliance function by ensuring timely and accurate filing of all federal and state income tax returns, premium tax returns, personal property, sales and use tax returns and payment of guaranty assessments. Review federal consolidated life/non-life consolidated return and associated schedules. Maintain and update FIN 48 analysis and support
- Ensure the tax function provides timely, quality and innovative income tax consulting services across the organization. Identify, recommend and implement opportunities to reduce the Company’s federal and state income taxliability. Prepare analysis and formal memorandum supporting recommendation for executive mangagement. Oversee and manage the integration of tax into internal and external business operations and agreements with proactive communications to ensure tax compliance and enhance the company’s strategic tax position.
- Collaborate with and advise the Enterprise’s Government Affairs team on the effects of federal, state, and local current and proposed tax legislation.
- Supervise state audits to ensure adequate resources are available so that all audits and associated requests are completed with agreed upon time limits. Assist in federal audits by preparing responses to complex requests.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field.
- 10 or more years progressively responsibleexperience in handling complex, broad based federal and state compliance, provision, planning and tax analysis.
- Insurance taxexperiencepreferred.
Professional certification required: CPA or advanced degree (Masters of Taxation) or equivalent experience.
Req # 18145