GCI's Director of Talent and Leadership Development is responsible for development, facilitating, and measuring the impact of professional and management/leadership learning programs that support the organizational priorities and enhance individual and team development. Responsible for improving organizational and leadership effectiveness and building workforce capabilities to improve business performance. Provides leadership and direction to the staff. Promote a culture of continuous learning while providing developmental experiences that enable the effective implementation of the company mission, vision, and strategy by supporting both corporate functions and regional business needs.
Essential Duties of Position:
- Develops teachers, including subject matter experts, to help the workforce learn Responsible for facilitating a wide variety of formal and informal learning solutions for professional and management/leadership programs that are consistent with the organization’s employee development strategy. Identifies the developmental needs of the workforce guided by individual opportunities for growth, corporate strategy, and the needs of individual departments. Provides a variety of ways for the people to learn; including self-directed, experiential, virtual, and formal classroom delivery of content
- Responsible for the recommendation, development, and implementation for long term learning solutions and content for new learning and development programs. Responsible for the development of short and long term training plans and schedules to meet the professional and management/leadership needs and growth of the organization.
- Evaluate learning program results and reports on metrics to assess the overall effectiveness of learning and development initiatives. Evaluates and provides feedback on course material and presentations Contributes to the design of curriculum and related learning experiences, as well as supporting materials. Provides organizational development consultation to help working teams be more effective by addressing issues related to structure, culture, process or individual performance. Uses sound and effective teaching methods when presenting class material
- Responsible for hiring, leading, developing and managing the performance by those reporting to this position; establishes and communicates clear performance expectations, makes recommendations for salary increases. Provide timely annual performance reviews to all direct reports, and ensure that all employees within the department receive annual performance reviews on time. Responsible for team results and recommends and /or approves promotions, demotions, transfers or disciplinary actions up to and including termination. Maintains union free workforce through effective communication and regular feedback to employees regarding their performance against expectations, and use of effective performance recognition of groups involved.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to assess organizational and departmental development needs and translate them into practical learning and development solutions that have measurable impact on behaviors and outcomes.
- Excellent training, facilitation and internal consulting skills.
- Proven ability to establish credibility as an instructor, create an energetic and supportive learning climate, encourage participation, deliver constructive feedback and ensure learning that continues.
- Advanced interpersonal and relationship management skills as demonstrated by the ability to influence others and build collaborative relationships both within the team and across the organization with individuals at all levels, as well as outside vendors
- Highly proficient in transforming knowledge of adult learning principles, curriculum and instructional design, and performance improvement methodologies into successful change outcomes that yields measurable organizational results.
- Experience in using multiple instructional design options and learning methodologies (e.g. classroom, online, blended, distance learning methods) to create innovative solutions.
- Strong project management and prioritization skills with ability to meet deadlines consistently.
- Skilled in handling multiple competing priorities and duties in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment with minimal daily oversight.
- Excellent presentation, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of PC desktop packages (preferably Microsoft Office).
Minimum of twelve (12) years progressive experience in training and/or organizational development, focused on professional skills and management/leadership development to include: a minimum of six (6) years of classroom facilitation experience and five (5) years in a managerial, supervisory or lead role.
High school diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree in human resources, education, organizational development, business administration or related field required. Equivalent education and/or directly related work experience may be substituted for the degree on a year for year basis.
Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and can contribute toward education. Preferred: Professional course certification(s) in instructional design, training, facilitation, and self-assessment tools.
- Minimum of twelve (12) years progressive experience in training and/or organizational development, focused on professional skills and management/leadership development to include: a minimum of six (6) years of classroom facilitation experience and five (5) years in a managerial, supervisory or lead role.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree in human resources, education, organizational development, business administration or related field required. Equivalent education and/or directly related work experience may be substituted for the degree on a year for year basis.
- Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and can contribute toward education. Preferred: Professional course certification(s) in instructional design, training, facilitation, and self-assessment tools.
Physical Requirements: Office Position: Ability to perform sedentary work. Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. Clarity of vision to see near, mid-range, and color. Ability to lift and carry up to 20 lbs. Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
Working Conditions: Comfortable office or classroom environment based at company’s training facility in Anchorage. Work can be intense and stressful due to extensive training schedules to meet company deadlines. Travel to multiple statewide company locations is required. During classroom training, may require long periods of standing, 6-8 hours. The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. As such, you will be requested to provide emergency after hours contact numbers, to include your home and cell phone numbers if you have those services.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance and a satisfactory driving record.
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, and responsibilities required of employees assigned to this job.