Director Systems Engineering, this is a leadership role at GCI directing the work of professional engineers within specialized areas; has profit and loss responsibility for the company; works with engineers, peers, and leadership in developing short and long-range objectives, goals, budget and departmental policies and procedures. Oversee the analysis and evaluation, development, and recommendation of specific technology products and platforms to ensure solutions meet end-to-end business requirements. Position has ownership and responsibility for program level technical success of assigned projects.
Essential Duties of Position: This position requires the director to:
- Fully own the mission, goals, operations, and results of the corporate technical programs and projects assigned. This responsibility is non-delegable.
- Provide strong leadership to the VP's direct and indirect reports.
- This leadership includes generating enthusiasm and shared commitment; identifying and setting new directions; teaching, growing, and empowering; owning outcomes; and leading by example. This responsibility is non-delegable.
Specific leadership duties include:
- Establishing the vision and tone for the department, consistent with company culture and mission;
- Developing, establishing and maintaining industry accepted engineering processes and procedures, where appropriate.
- Cultivate a culture of engineering excellence within the systems engineering team that extends into discipline engineering, operations and beyond.
- Establishing clear, measurable goals and performance expectations for engineering staff
- Hiring and growing individuals who can accomplish those goals and meet those expectations, and providing them the open communications, training, tools, and mentoring they need to be successful and develop professionally and to provide a development path commensurate with capabilities and potential.
- Provide clear and accurate feedback to direct and indirect reports on a timely and consistent basis. Identify and address performance problems early and effectively before they damage GCI's interests and demoralize other employees. These processes include annual performance reviews, compensation adjustments, promotions, demotions, transfers, and disciplinary actions up to and including termination.
- Leadership, Strategy, and Vision: Communication of company vision, initiatives and strategic goals to management and employees within the department. Foster a collaborative environment.
- Projects – Provide leadership and management to ensure projects are completed on time within scope and budget meeting requirements.
- Budget - Responsible for operational and capital budget development and management under department and company guidelines.
- Provide financially efficient stewardship for all approved capital and operating budgets.
- Team Management: Responsible for hiring, leading, developing and managing the performance by those reporting to this position, establishes and communicates clear performance expectations, and makes recommendations for salary increases. Sets the tone for continuing training requirements of key individuals to ensure that the team is prepared to take full advantage of key advances in the technologies used by GCI to improve and add new services for our customers.
- Provide timely annual performance reviews to all direct reports and ensure that all employees within the department receive annual performance reviews on time. Responsible for team results and recommends and /or approves promotions, demotions, transfers or disciplinary actions up to and including termination.
- Maintains union free workforce through effective communication and regular feedback to employees regarding their performance against expectations and use of effective performance recognition of groups involved.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Leadership Proven ability to lead an organization to high levels of performance while maintaining morale and personal growth for employees in a union free environment.
- Ability to act as a positive mentor and coach to subordinates and instill a coaching environment in the organization.
- Engineering Demonstrated track record delivering on increasingly complex and difficult projects. Multidisciplinary knowledge of telecommunications systems including (but not limited to) wireless, access and long-haul wireline, facilities, satellite, microwave and switching systems. Academic and practical knowledge of systems engineering concepts, processes and theory.
- Financial skills Ability to develop detailed capital and operating budgets for the department. Familiar with reporting and tracking tools necessary to assure budget guidelines meet expectations.
- Analytical skills Demonstrated ability to analyze complex challenging problems and situations leading to optimal solutions.
- Organizational skills Ability to develop the organization necessary to meet the group mission and to interface with other units within the company.
- Communications skills Excellent verbal and written communication required. Must be able to articulate information in presentation format in front of internal and external customers.
- People skills Demonstrated ability to manage performance through motivation and counseling of different levels of employees.
- Minimum of twelve years' experience in the telecommunications engineering or operations fields.
- Experience in the management and consultation of multidisciplinary engineering projects is required. Includes a minimum of five years of progressive management/leadership experience.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or related field is required.
- Or, in addition to minimum experience required; a combination of relevant work experience and/or education sufficient to perform the duties of the job may substitute to meet the total years required on a year-for-year basis.
- Master's Degree or PhD in relevant field may contribute toward professional experience on a year for year basis.
- Licensure as a registered professional engineer is highly desirable.
Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and may contribute toward education.