This is a director level position in Unum’s Products Offering Development team which is accountable for the overall management of our product and service portfolio. This role operates as a key member of the leadership team that is collectively charged with ensuring the Unum US offerings achieve and maintain leadership positions in the industry in terms of breadth, strength and profitability. This individual will play a critical role in the development of our 3-5 year portfolio roadmap, articulating clear, crisp recommendations both to facilitate effective organizational decision making as well as for investment decisions.
What do you get?
Operate as a key member of a highly collaborative and inclusive management team to drive results and outcomes that are critical to the overall success of the company
An opportunity to engage with our company’s Sr leadership team and cross functional partners and demonstrate your ability to establish clarity in ambiguous, multi-faceted situations – your work will shape our future product and service portfolio
Enjoy a flexible and dynamic work environment that offers work-life balance, a generous benefits package and encourages personal growth and development
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Owns product development strategy
- Owns strategic vision and development pipeline for specific products and/or capabilities – must be an expert on Unum offering and how it relates to market trends, competitive dynamics, and customer needs
- Creates ongoing market assessment which captures internal and external dynamics and recommends course of action supported by CBA and strategic rationale
- Considered an expert on financial dynamics (sales trends, profitability, persistency, etc.) of assigned products/capabilities
- Considered an expert on how to position products/capabilities against competitors
- Act as “business owner” for assigned product/offering and partners with Product Managers to ensure that implementation of recommendation reflects strategic vision
- Partner with other practice areas to ensure in sync with product development needs
- Establishes and maintains superior partnerships with other functional areas (such as IT, Underwriting, Pricing, Sales Support, Field Sales and Service, Benefits, Client Services, Marketing, Compensation, CC&F, Law Department and Training) to vet opportunities and ensure appropriate resources are available to meet development goals.
- Facilitates conflict resolution across the business areas and ensures the appropriate strategic and tactical decisions are reached.
- Develops marketing messages, ideas, and promotions around specific product categories by market segments, in coordination with corporate marketing messages.
- Training of field and home office constituents.
- May perform other duties as assigned
- BA/BS or equivalent related work experience required; MBA a plus but not required
- 9+ years of business experience, preferably in financial services industry or in marketing, product development or brand management
- Proven leadership skills and abilities necessary to leverage functional partner relationships across the corporation.
- Must be a strategic thinker
- Ability to support other product initiatives as part of a "fungible" pool of Product Development professionals
- Attentive focus on delivering timely results and executing on plans to support corporate growth and financial results.
- Superior proven ability to handle multi-dimensional projects, to execute accountabilities, and deliver quality results through multiple organizational areas not under his/her direct span of control
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal with demonstrated high level of comfort working with and presenting to Sr. Management, the sales organization, and external brokers, customers and industry groups.
- Ability to develop strong credibility and effective working relationships with multiple external and internal constituents
- Strong understanding of all functional components for his/her specific product line (pricing, risk, underwriting, customer service)
- Experience in marketing, sales, product/market development, risk management, or benefits
- Insurance designations preferred, ASA, FLMI, CLU/ChFC, REBC, RHU or HIAA