The Director of News for KTXL FOX 40 is responsible for all aspects of managing the operation of this newsroom in Sacramento, which produces more than 49 hours of local programming each week. This includes, but is not limited to, directing daily news coverage and its dissemination on all broadcast and digitalchannels. The news director communicates and upholds a code of journalism ethics and conduct that all news personnel follow; oversees newsroom budgeting and the P&L process, while keeping spending under control without hampering the news department’s ability to cover the news; and collaborates with the General Manager and other Department Heads to develop innovative new ways to implement our station brand, execute our vision and serve the community.
Develops and implement strategies for newscasts and special projects, including investigative and sweeps reports, elections and live coverage of major events. Other critical responsibilities include:
- Leads and maximizes multiple platforms, including broadcast, web, and mobile, to deliver content and engage our viewers on a daily basis.
- Evaluates work of newsroom staff regularly and provides consistent and constructive feedback.
- Critiques newscasts on a daily basis.
- Initiates and/or approves all news department staff action.
- Oversees and monitors digital content channels.
- Keeps other departments heads informed of news department activities.
- Consults with staff and other department heads on possible news related programs that could enhance the station’s image and/or generate revenue.
- Ensures adherence to station, corporate and governmental policies and rules, as well as legal matters relating to news programming and staff.
- Participate in community service activities, both as a citizen and as a spokesperson for the news department and the station.
- Remain alert to latest trends in news production and coverage both locally and nationally.
- Oversees newsroom scheduling
- Reviews formats for daily news programs, making suggested changes when necessary.
Manages and uses state of the art news-gathering equipment including digitalediting systems, graphic technologies, new control room, HD weather, traffic data system to showcase a compelling product.
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications, Business Administration or equivalent experience. Along with a minimum of 10 years of progressive leadership experience in a medium to large market.
- Candidates should possess experience in strategic project management, marketing and promotions along with experience in news, digital, (including technology trends in the market including a social media strategy) and brand management.
- Ability to partner with business leaders, develop strong relationships and drive results. Superior organizational skills with an emphasis on data, reporting tools and metrics. Knowledge of budget preparation and maintenance
- Experience managing teams including prioritizing, assigning and overseeing work. High attention to detail, while managing multiple projects
- Strong financial controls/ budget management
- Strong understanding of content management, multi-platform journalism
- Excellent leader and motivator with strong organizational skills.
- Strong communicational skills, both oral and written.