Director, Internet Products provides leadership for a team charged with the responsibility for product strategy, product development, on-going life-cycle management, and the overall market success of assigned products & services.
Position’s Customer(s): All of GCI’s business units.
Essential Duties of Position: This is a leadership role which directs the work of several team members including managers and/or senior managers within a specialized area (i.e., engineering, information technology, business operations); has profit and loss responsibility for the department and is accountable; works with directors, senior directors and/or vice presidents of given department in developing departmental short and long-range objectives, plans, budget and policies. Sets the tone for continuing training requirements of key individuals to ensure that the team is prepared to take full advantage of advances in the technologies used by the company to improve and add new services for our customers.
- • In consultation with company leadership, develop and document a strategy for assigned product portfolio.
- • Develop a long-term product roadmap, associated capital plan, and operating forecast.
- • Evaluate new opportunities and concepts submitted for roadmap inclusion.
- • In support of long-term strategy, develop and regularly maintain short-term tactical development roadmap for assigned products and services.
- • Coordinate with other Product Management Portfolio Directors and other departments to align efforts to ensure the coherence GCI’s product offerings.
- • Oversee the development of business cases, product pricing models, product requirements, launch plans, operating models, and product documentation.
- • Negotiate contracts for products within the assigned portfolio.
- • Ensure that assigned products and services maintain both legal and security compliance.
Portfolio Life-Cycle Management:
- • Develop and present routine portfolio performance reviews to ensure that customer experience and financial goals are met.
- • Develop and maintain on-going vendor relationships to ensure product stability and maximize product financial performance.
- • Oversee the management and resolution of material product defects and issues escalated from other parts of the organization.
- • Ensure product documentation is kept current as changes to services are made.
- • Oversee on-going changes to operating, capital, and subscriber forecasts for assigned products.
- • Oversee the management of end-of-life activities for assigned products.
- • Oversee the ongoing evaluation and optimization of portfolio products during each life cycle stage (launch, growth, harvest, retire, etc.).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- • Leadership: Proven ability to lead an organization to high levels of performance while maintaining morale and personal growth for employees in a union free environment. Ability to act as a positive mentor and coach to subordinates and instill a coaching environment in the organization.
- • Financial Skills: Ability to develop detailed capital and operating budgets for the department. Familiar with reporting and tracking tools necessary to assure budget guidelines meet expectations. Demonstrated experience leading teams in the development of business cases and/or complex customer proposals.
- • Analytical Skills: Demonstrated ability to analyze complex challenging problems and situations leading to optimal solutions. Ability to analyze problems and technical situations leading to optimal solutions.
- • Organizational Skills: Ability to develop the organization necessary to meet the group mission and to interface with other units within the company.
- • Communications Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication required. Must have the ability to articulate design and technical information, verbally and in writing, to internal and external customers.
- • People Skills: Demonstrated ability to manage performance through motivation and counseling of different levels of employees. Demonstrated ability to influence key corporate decision makers while maintaining relationships.
- • Experience: Proven experience with retail & small business cellular/mobiletelecommunications products and services.
- • A minimum of twelve (12) years of professional experience with increasing responsibility in one or more of the following areas:
- o Product Management/Development,
- o Engineering,
- o Product Marketing,
- o Operations or
- o Service Delivery.
- • A minimum of five (5) years of managerial experience with proven experience building and leading strong teams required.
- • A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- • A Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, Economics or similar emphasis is required.
- • In addition to minimum experience required, a degree may be substituted with relevant exempt work experience on a year-for-year basis.
- • Master’s Degree is highly valued.
- • Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued.
Position reports to: VP, Product Management
Number of Direct Reports: 3 or more
Physical Requirements: Office Position: Ability to perform sedentary work. Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. Clarity of vision to see near, mid-range, and color. Ability to lift and carry up to (25) lbs.
Working Conditions: Most activities conducted inside under pleasant climatic conditions. Work can be intense and stressful due to time/resource limitations when scheduling multiple tasks with inflexible deadlines. Travel for business and training purposes may be required. Must be able to deal with employee issues that include conflict. May at times have to deal with upset customers. Must be available a large percentage of the time or provide for back up. May get phone calls after hours and must be able to deal with 7x24 network issues that may arise. The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. As such, you will be required to provide emergency after hours contact numbers, to include your home and cell phone numbers if you have those services.