The Digital Solution Architect will also be responsible for development of Proof-of-Concepts and facilitating technical training/learning sessions. The Digital Solution Architect role will focus on the digital, Omni-Channel experience which includes web and mobile applications and platforms, content management, responsive/adaptive designs and related technology stacks.
The Digital Solution Architect role will drive digital capabilities, and conveniences, creating a competitive advantage for BJ’s Wholesale Club.
- Responsible for the architectural design of strategic, customer and team-member facing, web and mobile Omni Channel applications and services, involving order management, logistics, payments, and customer experience; following established architectural standards and best practices.
- While this position includes hands-on development work, it focuses a majority of the time on technical leadership, which includes assessments, code reviews, coaching engineers, documenting and evolving coding standards and best practices, performing data modeling, participating in advanced troubleshooting of production and pre-production systems, and authoring frameworks and utilities to improve the efficiency of the engineering staff.
- Collaborating with/Leading other Architects and Engineers, potentially located in different geographical locations and time zones, to implement and extend Digital capabilities.
- Ensuring design decisions support the long-term health of the Digital ecosystem and do not lead to a short-term or isolated solution, including Code Reviews when appropriate.
- Ensuring the technical integrity, consistency and adherence to architectural standards and principles.
- Overseeing the development of a complete set of architectural artifacts describing and depicting the solution with all its components and interactions.
- Documenting technical information for the system and ensuring that any new systems or system changes are updated in the appropriate repositories.
- Creating innovative and architecturally sound, Cloud based, solutions for the IBM Sterling Order Management Solution, and WebSphere Commerce platforms.
- Creating innovative and architecturally sound, Cloud based, MicroServices using Open Source Software frameworks.
- At least 8-12 years of experience with Java/J2EE development and architecture
- Bachelor’s degree required in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or similar technical discipline. Advanced degree a plus.
- Awareness of, and Experience with, industry leading Frameworks and Open Source Technologies such as, but not limited to: Spring Boot, Spring Cloud Gateway, React Native, NodeJS, Hibernate, NoSQL DB, Relational DB
- Experience with Enterprise caching strategies, technologies, and implementations.
- Technical awareness of/working experience with Amazon Web Services and cloud deployments, including but not limited to: Redshift, Lambda, DynamoDB, ECS, S3, Pinpoint, SNS
- Experience with Middleware solutions
- Experience with Enterprise Grade MicroServices architecture, design, and scalable and secure implementations achieving at least 5K-10K transactions per hour, 0 downtime, and error rates less than 5%
- Experience in, and deep knowledge of, the retail industry
- Experience in implementing order management capabilities such as: Inventory, Ship-to-home, ship-from-store, ship-to-store, pickup in-store, reverse logistics
- Experience with Payment Processing and Fraud review vendor integrations including, but not limited to: Riskified, CyberSource, Worldpay (Vantiv), Paypal, ApplePay, Stored Value Solutions (SVS)
Knowledge, Skills, Technical:
- Ability to create and maintain architectural artifacts, including detailed architectural diagrams.
- Strong attention to detail, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Working knowledge of DevOps, agile methodology, and continuous improvement.
- Experience working in a Product Team model, in an agile development environment
- Keen interest in following emerging technologies and ability to determine and articulate how they could or should be applied along with assessment of business value.
- Desire to design and develop towards CI/CD
- Experience with Test Driven Development
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to communicate clearly and concisely to all audiences of all levels, spanning from technical peers to executive management
- Effective time management and organizational skills, and ability to handle multiple deliverables simultaneously within aggressive timelines
- Ability to pivot easily when directions and priorities change on short notice