LEWIS is an integrated communications agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in a little over two decades. The company now ranks in the top 40 agencies worldwide with 29 offices, 550 employees and revenue of $64m. Its success is due to a combination of factors: talented people delivering award-winning campaigns; expanding client relationships into new markets or services; making strategic acquisitions. Its people, agency and campaigns have won many prestigious awards in the last 18 months including Cannes Lions, Holmes Report, ICCO, PRCA.
Central to the growth has been the policy of reinvestment, with the majority of profits returning to the company to propel development. This is possible because the company is independently owned.
What we look for in our people
Agile, bold, collaborative, inquisitive, and spirited. These are our values and what we look for in every person at LEWIS. As we evolve, grow, and expand, we are committed to being a group that thinks differently. We understand the full marketing communications mix, even if a specialist in a particular aspect. We want all of our people, whether a digital specialist or media strategist, graphic designer or analytics manager to have an appreciation of the overall communications ecosystem, and how LEWIS can support clients in achieving their business and communications goals. Our people are agile to opportunities; bold in their approach; collaborative with colleagues across disciplines and offices to deliver amazing work; We are lifelong learners and fearless in challenging the norm; We are spirited and committed in developing ourselves, our teams, and the agency. We value a vibrant and dynamic environment.
Purpose of the role
The overall purpose of this role is to provide leadership to a team of digital specialists, senior specialists, and account managers, in order to ensure that we provide strategic, creative and forward-thinking solutions to our clients. This role is client facing, responsible for offering strategic and creative guidance, ensuring client expectations are met and exceeded, and providing consistent communication regarding the status of critical activity across the account.
This individual will develop strong client relationships, including the identification of opportunities to expand the scope and scale of LEWIS' support in order to drive the clients' business forward. Though this role is based in San Francisco and focused on the West Coast, this hire is intended to be cross-functional, working across regions and digital practice areas to reach a common goal.
You are an energetic and ambitious leader, rooted in digital/social while strongly committed to seeing the bigger picture. You have experience managing people and cultivating talent in others. With a business-minded approach, you understand the impact of running efficient and profitable accounts without sacrificing quality. You are comfortable working with large, multi-national companies and presenting to key stakeholders. You are a coach and a teammate, willing to roll up your sleeves and work alongside your team to achieve the best results. You love what you do and value the importance of fun in the creative process.
Experience in integrated communications, content marketing, and data-driven storytelling is also a plus.
Key responsibilities and tasks
- Ensure a strategic relationship with primary contacts across clients, providing insight and partnership in all aspects of the marketing spectrum, with an acute focus on paid and organic social media;
- Support and understand client business goals and primary KPIs, proving the ability to track ROI or added value across campaigns and ongoing digital efforts
- Use research and listening tools to generate insight, fuel social conversation, and inform campaign recommendations
- Define client objectives and set standards of excellence for all client activity, driving commitment across all levels of the team; defining KPIs, deadlines and service agreements / contracts
- Partner with creative and content teams to develop compelling content and integrated campaigns for both current and prospective clients
- Support leadership with responsibility for his/her direct account team, including coaching, supervision, assessment and reviews of direct reports; Proactively communicate account performance internally
- Act as an inspiring and respected line manager, working closely with line reports to cultivate strengths, address opportunities and support career development
- Ensure profitability on all accounts and effectively manages budgets; Monitor team activity levels against budget, increasing fees and negotiating with clients and suppliers where necessary
- Understands and maximizes the impact of client revenues on the business
- Monitor and report on account KPIs and ensure accurate reporting by junior team members
- Collaborate across the company to increase the utilization and selling of digital services
- Plays an active role in the new business process as a member of pitch teams, delivering credible solutions to new business challenges; This is done in partnership with the client engagement teams and practice leadership.
- Support internal training efforts to help grow social media capabilities across LEWIS
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future trends and potential pitfalls
- Experience managing digital and social media efforts for B2B clients, preferably within the technology sector and/or clients with matrix stakeholders
- Experience working in an advertising or communications agency, with large, global organizations and providing clients with strategic digital consultancy
- Experience directly managing a team of junior specialists
- Proven track record of exceeding goals and supporting revenue and team growth; ability to make sound decisions through a combination of analysis, experience and judgment
- Experience integrating digital marketing capabilities with public relations, content and broader marketing activities
- Experience successfully allocating and managing resources and tracking account-level profitability
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to problem solve, project manage and multi-task
- Creative thinking with an open-minded approach
Key Senior Internal Contacts
- VP, Strategic Integrated Accounts (San Francisco) – line manager
- VP, Digital (West Coast) (San Francisco) – close working relationship with
- SVP, Strategic Integrated Accounts (San Francisco) – close working relationship with
- MD, Social (Austin) – close working relationship with
- MD, Paid Social (San Francisco) – close working relationship with
- MD, Digital (San Diego)
- MD, Digital (San Francisco)
- EVP, US (San Francisco)
- SVP, Digital (East Coast) (Boston)
- Client Engagement team
- San Francisco and San Diego leadership teams
Remuneration and benefits
- Basic salary dependent on experience
- 20 days' vacation per year
- Health insurance; life insurance
- 401k with 2% employer match (eligible after 30 days of employment)