The primary purpose of this position is to serve as an Electronics Engineer and provide electronics design and development efforts on aerospace projects to produce new avionics and instrumentation systems or equipment.
Projects may include lab demonstrations, aero based instruments, field campaigns, and space flight instruments. Work requires high-speed digital electronics board and system-level design including the development of systems that incorporate microprocessors, microcontrollers, memory systems, complex interfaces, and field-programmable gate arrays.
Designs must perform under stringent aero and space environmental conditions. Highly-integrated science instruments and supporting electronics will be necessary to achieve high performance requirements for ongoing research and future missions. Newly developed signal processing systems will result in a far reaching impact in the field of atmospheric science instruments.
The work involves analyzing, designing, simulating, fabricating, testing, and conducting performance validation and verification of electronic data processing, controls, and instrumentation systems. These will be used for detecting, recording, measuring, or controlling physical conditions, phenomena, and environments encountered in aeronautical and aerospace research and development programs. Duties may also include monitoring contractors engaged in this work.
- Design and test advanced digitalcircuits that include microprocessors, memory systems, complex interfaces, microcontrollers, programmable logic devices, and field programmable gate arrays.
- Designs Actel and Xilinx field programmable gate arrays using the hardware description language VHSIC (very-high-speed integrated circuits) HDL (Hardware Description Language). Simulates digitalcircuits to ensure that performance, timing, and power requirements are all satisfied.
- Generates and reviews development and design approaches for adequacy, feasibility, cost, and conformance to overall goals and best engineering practices.
- Presents results at project reviews and technical conferences.
- Ensures assigned aerospace and/or ground support equipment meet project objectives and environmental conditions and are compatible with ground data acquisition and processing capabilities.
- Writes and reviews technical goals and approaches, monitoring progress during development, design, and testing. Provides advanced technical assistance in development, design, and integration of technologies and systems.
Additional Responsibilities as a Technical Specialist
- Review and analyzes existing systems design in order to initiate redesign or modifications to improve operational effectiveness or reparability of hardware.
- Designs or directs the development of unique or leading-edge technology, hardware, equipment, or systems to meet specific mission requirements.
- Manages engineering team efforts related to the study, development, and test of hardware, data system components, or equipment.
- Supports the design, development and testing, including upgrades, parts reliability requirements, failure analysis/corrective action investigations, special laboratory tests, performance evaluations, and design audits of in-house and contracted projects and provides status to senior program management.
- Oversees the day-to-day development activities of the design team in support of the project manager's work plan.
- Performs additional data systems and analysis work as required.
- Maintains a broad knowledge of electronics analog/digital design engineering.
- Mid to Senior level Engineer (5-15years).
- Experienced Leader/Manager of teams for the formulation, design, development, modification, implementation, calibration, and field deployment of difficult electronic measurement and instrumentation systems or other ground systems, or subsystems for laboratory, aero, or space flight systems.
- Experience with full life cycle development.
- Experienced electrical board designer (Knowledgeable with the ALTIUM design software).
- Consultation experience in the field of digital hardware system design.
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose issues that arise during testing.
Education and Qualifications
- BS degree or higher in Engineering is required
- Lots of hands on experience is required
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- An ability to learn new skills and adapt to new technologies
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of the SGT is to provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. SGT hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. SGT believes that employees should be provided with a working environment which enables them to be productive and to work to the best of his or her ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. We expect and require the cooperation of all employees in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.
Job ID: 20558