News 5 Cleveland (WEWS-TV) is hiring a digital director to lead digital innovation at the station. The position oversees the station's digital operations including online news coverage; social media strategies; ideation on new revenue generation; and expansion into cutting-edge platforms such as OTT and voice services like Alexa and Google Home, among other initiatives.
E.W. Scripps' digital directors get the opportunity to take part in multiple professional growth opportunities. Also, digital directors annually establish a "leadership goal" to grow their professional skillsets.
We welcome unique digital thinkers from all media backgrounds; television experiencepreferred but not required.
- Set and execute a local digital strategy that helps expand the station's market footprint on all platforms: from broadcast to digital
- Establish key performance indicators around traffic, video, social media and digital expansion, among other areas
- Participate in achieving business success through ideation, experimenting with alternative revenue streams, and assisting the sales team on new projects
- Manage a digital team -- from overall strategy to workflow to day-to-day processes -- that keep all digital platforms up-to-date and competitive with local news and information
- Collaborate with a national technology team to manage the overall functionality of and troubleshoot issues on all digital properties
- Coordinate training -- both to improve the digital capabilities of local staff members as well as to familiarize the market on new products and platforms
- Work with the local news director, creative services (marketing) director, and general manager to create and manage internal systems and processes to keep all digital platforms up-to-date and build a unified station strategy
- Track and analyze market digital analytics, including standard web, advertising, video, mobile and social
- Work closely with all departments (including news, marketing and sales) in a collaborative manner to support their digital needs, including the incorporation, insertion and maintenance of native content; advertiser creative; and video commercials into the sites or apps. Some design of advertiser creative may be required
Digital directors report directly to the corporate regional general manager of digital, but also serve on the local leadership teams, which are led by a station's general manager.
Education & Experience/Certifications
- College degree in related field or equivalent experiencerequired
- 3+ years of comprehensive digital media experiencerequired
- 5+ years' experience in digital media, journalism, broadcast, media sales or a closely related field
- 2 - 5 years supervisory experience strongly preferred
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to create and drive to success unique digital media initiatives
- Ability to collaborate with peers managing different platforms and with editorial, sales and marketing leaders
- A leadership approach that is persuasive, encouraging and motivating
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and prioritize in a fast-paced newsroom environment
- Strong sense of initiative and focus on continuous learning
- Strong understanding of analytics for digital audience, engagement and revenue
- Ability to build strong relationships in the local station, with the corporate team, and with third-party partners
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial abilities, with start-up business/project skills strongly preferred
- Working knowledge of online content management systems and otherdigitalpublishingtechnologies (including video production)
- Knowledge of and success in growing social media and search traffic, as well as other audience-growth techniques