Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Digital Design Engineer II
What You'll Do:
- Design digital hardware for space-based, high-reliability electronic systems. Assignments include design architectures utilizing FPGAs, microprocessors, soft-core processors, digital filters, image processing algorithms, and high speed SERDES communication interfaces/protocols like XAUI, sRIO, PCIe, and SpaceWire for communication and data processing for a variety of sensors – focal planes, detectors, gimbals, phased arrays.
- Digital system partitioning and advanced function implementation in FPGAs.
- Design and implement test fixtures including test plans for both chip-level and board level environments and create reusable circuits that can be utilized across multiple projects.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Electrical or Computer Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Strong electronic circuit design, hardware debugging, and electronic systems background.
- Experience in design, documentation, and implementation of high-speed digital electronics, FPGAs, and embedded processor systems is desired.
- Familiarity and experience with PCI, Ethernet, MIL-STD-1553, SERDES, SpaceWire, LVDS, and RS-422/485 protocols are required.
- Familiarity and experience with implementing SRAM, SDRAM (DDR2/DDR3) and flash memory hardware interfaces is required.
- Strong board design skills for high speed design, worst case analysis, digital timing analysis, and simulations.
- Experience in developing specifications, cost, schedule, and resource requirements for digital designs.
- Ability to work requirements and flow down for system/subsystem/box/board/component needs.
- Experience with VPX, CompactPCI, AdvacedTCA, or VME systems and form factors is a plus.
- Familiarity with low-voltage switching regulator design is a plus.
- Familiarity with Mentor Graphics DxD, OrCAD CIS for schematic design, and HyperLynx for SI/PI analysis is a plus.
- Expertise in VHDL/Verilog, System Verilog and OVM/UVM, and Modelsim/Questa simulator is a plus.
- Familiarity with ASIC tools, libraries, design flow and fabrication is a plus.
- Experience with Ruby, Python, or C/C++ is a plus.
- Knowledge of space radiation effects or rad-hard electronics design is a plus.
- Space or military experience highly desired, but not required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong presentation skills.
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret/SCI security clearance is required.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department ofEducation.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required