A Product Owner is a multi-talented manager capable of balancing business management and people management. This crew member is no micro-managing turncoat. They are, in fact, a macro-manager with an eye on the big picture so the dev team can focus on the details and do the heavy lifting.
The POs are the contact point between the business, the development team, and the client. Thus, we need you to carry these specific skills in your toolbelt:
- Vision: No, we’re not talking about your eyesight, but your mind. On the business side, a good PO has the capacity to understand the company’s vision. On the team side, a PO has the vision to help the development team break it into smaller pieces and organize it to attain the goal.
- Communication: Not only will you have to see the vision with your mind, but you’ll also need to communicate it clearly with your mouth and keyboard. That means expressing the vision to the team, and also communicating the team’s work plan and bandwidth back to the business.
- Mediator: A calm demeanor and thick skin are a must, as you’ll be simultaneously managing the goal and balancing expectations between the team, business, and client. The PO also is a stand-in for the client, so listening to feedback and using it to improve the product is a key function.
If this all fits your swashbuckling skills, then sign up and climb aboard. We’ll even let you announce, “I’m the Captain now!” But only once — and it must be in character. (Google: Captain Phillips)
This job might be for you if you are familiar with and/or enjoy:
- Product Backlog Management (i.e. Jira)
- Developing plans & project roadmaps
- Prioritizing tasks to optimize team members and achieve maximum efficiency
- Knowledge management suites (i.e. Confluence)
- Keep current with software development industry standards/trends
You should bring these skills to the table:
- Project planning & requirement management
- Excellent communicator – comfortable with developers, stakeholders, and clients
- Ability to carry out tasks from start to finish
- Familiar and comfortable with the principles of Agile development
- Capable of assessing and mitigating risks
- A firm understanding of good user experience practices
- Good people skills
- Effective motivator who can foster an environment of self-improvement within a team
You score Bonus Points if you:
- Have experience managing multiple teams collaborating on multiple projects
- Are an expert at Atlassian tools such as Confluence, Jira, and Bitbucket
- Enjoy pouring over analytics and feedback to improve products and increase business value
- Due to the nature of our work, it is mandatory that you are a U.S. Citizen
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret security clearance.
- Successfully complete a background check and maintain a valid USA driver’s license
- Beast Code is a drug free work environment using mandatory pre-employment drug testing and random drug testing as per all applicable laws