WHY WE LOVE WORKING AT XO GROUP INC:
Every year, millions of brides, newlyweds, and first-time parents visit The Knot, The Nest, and The Bump for guidance and advice during some of the most important moments in their lives. Here at XO Group, we strive to give our customers a best in class user experience to make these moments even more special. We are highly focused on building a user-centric, content rich, mobile first organization with a refreshing, fun and entrepreneurial work culture. Connect yourself to work that matters!
ABOUT THE DEV OPS ENGINEER ROLE AND OUR TEAM:
"Our mission is to help unlock software development productivity by establishing and advocating for self-service initiatives that lead to efficient use of resources and best practices"
As a member of the Engineering Productivity Team, your role will entail having a forward path to learning both depth and breadth across an ever changing technology landscape as it relates to cloud infrastructure, global services, security and other solutions. This includes hands-on development: leading and building upon infrastructure-as-code automation, troubleshooting worldwide site issues (weekly on-call rotation), service cost analysis, process documentation and individual and group mentoring.
- Being hands-on with AWS and Kubernetes
- Administering software repository systems (GitHub Enterprise)
- Vetting 3rd party service solutions
- Helping to maintain and improve application build and deployment systems like Jenkins, CircleCI, and other platforms.
- Evangelizing commonality on tooling and process adoption will be core to this role. We place a high importance on sharing best in class infrastructure process to avoid fragmentation of the ecosystem so conventions can be developed and followed. This leads to finding, adopting and sharing with other members on the Engineering Productivity team for company efforts.
- Best effort to use data to drive any and all decisions.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Performing systems maintenance on application servers, designing, prototyping, building custom infrastructure related software solutions, and paving the way for self-service developer productivity.
- Advanced Linux and shell scripting capabilities (bash/ksh/sh), experienced in one dynamically typed language such as: NodeJs, Ruby, Python, or; and at least 1 statically typed language like Golang, Java, C#, C, C++, and Rust.
- Ability to break down complex problems into smaller manageable units. Be able to translate technical jargon to layman's term. Self manage and budget time for project execution and report status at appropriate intervals.
- You should possess the ability to rapidly analyze new technologies for suitability to the enterprise and ramp up rapidly once the decision is made to adopt.
- You have experience building, deploying and managing web services that include production workloads in AWS and/or Kubernetes, administering enterprise software services and packages, general security best·practices such as whitelisting, subnetting, routing and advanced Linux networking knowledge such as·linux bridges, linux routing specifically within an AWS VPC.
- You are comfortable debugging complex web or network flows in a distributed environment
- You are seasoned in bootstrapping and setting up data backups for data persistence tools such as Postgres, MariaDB, Redis, Memcached, Elasticsearch and etc...
- You understand block storage in AWS such as EBS volumes and are comfortable with setting up software RAID. Also correlating to data retention and data recovery practices.
- You have experienceworking with a reverse proxy with performance optimizations and rewrite and redirect rules.
- You have advanced knowledge of DNS topics such as delegation, weights, TTLs, and split-zone.
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU:
- You love our users. You deeply understand our users and put them at the center of everything you do. You aim to serve and delight them every day.
- You do the right thing. You are respectful and act with the highest integrity. If you see something that isn’t right, you say something.
- You debate it. You ask questions to understand a perspective and are comfortable respectfully challenging assumptions. You are not turned off by constructive conflict to get to the right answer.
- You own your outcomes. You set clear ambitious goals. You anticipate obstacles, persevere, and are accountable for your commitments.
- You make fast decisions. You are an effective and timely communicator. You understand how to collaborate, compromise, and escalate when needed.
- You get better every day. You welcome the gift of feedback. You never settle in your quest to grow and develop. By being here, you make our company stronger.