The DevOps Engineer will be part of a fast paced and results oriented Infrastructure team and will be responsible for designing, building and maintaining the software, hardware and networking infrastructure required for efficient development, integration and operation of cloud (primary) and on-premise environments (as needed).
This position will report to the Director of Infrastructure be responsible for bridging the gap between Infrastructure and Application Development by working closely with the Application Development team and other Infrastructure team members (including MSPs and other vendors), to meet the needs for rapid development, testing and integration of software and controls.
To effectively recommend and implement innovative solutions, the DevOps Engineer is expected to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies and trends in software development, continuous integration, cloud infrastructure, system administration and system provisioning systems. The DevOps Engineer will be responsible for analyzing developer and system needs followed by the development and implementation of solid solutions.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- In collaboration with the Infrastructure Director and the Application Development team, participate in designing and deploying infrastructure solutions to advance Bible Translation.
- Configure and manage a DevOps framework
- Configuration, setup, automation, and auto-scaling of data related components in a cloud environment
- CI/CD capabilities, Configuration Management, and Source Code Management
- Working in a capacity with a desire to automate everything
- Constructing and managing a Docker ecosystem
- Managing, improving, and administering test automation
- Manage cloud-based infrastructure to stay one step ahead
- Identify opportunities to move/migrate on-premise servers, resources, and applications to the cloud, followed by implementation
- Assist with the administration of all cloud-based resources, functions, and servers
- Take initiative to improve existing infrastructure in increase performance and stability
- Work closely and collaboratively in an Agile environment with other IT Team members and product teams to analyze issues and find new insights covering our business and operations
- Troubleshooting of Windows OS, Linux, and other applications
- Work on other projects and tasks, including technology research and testing that accelerate Bible translation.
- Translate project scope and goals into work plans with tasks, dependencies, milestones and deadlines; monitors to ensure progress.
- May lead system conversions, implementations, business process design, and other special projects as assigned.
- Take personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of results for projects and tasks.
- Learns about new technologies and actively look for opportunities to improve our workforce skills
- Conduct research on software and hardware products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts
- Develop moderately complex application requirements based on business requirements from WA staff and business users and technical requirements from other IT specialties
- Consistently propose original solutions, proposals, and recommendations within context of an identified objective
- Administer, document, monitor and/or modify tools and interfaces
- Leads and/or assist with efforts in Business Systems re-engineering as required
- Use business requirements and business process knowledge to create detailed use cases, user stories, and test scenarios
- Create system design proposals and systems models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to developers
- Lead and/or collaborate in system and/or application design sessions to improve existing applications and/or prototyping new systems/applications for the purpose of enhancing business processes and information process flow
EDUCATION, PRIOR WORK EXPERIENCE, AND/OR SPECIALIZED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Bachelor's degree in the field of computer science or management information systems and a minimum of 1 year related work experience. Advanced levels will require additional years of experience, or, at least 8 years of experience in lieu of college
- 2+ years working in AWS strongly preferred; Experience in Azure also desired - with focus on refactoring, rebuilds, and redesign during cloud migration activities
- Broad understanding of CI/CD/CM toolsets and processes (i.e., Git, Jenkins, Docker, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc.) is required
- Test Automation experience is strongly desired. We currently use Jenkins and Rapise but are open to other solutions.
- Demonstrable understanding of security principles, including evaluating current projects and infrastructure for vulnerabilities, and the ability to remediate and protect against common cybersecurity weaknesses.
- Must possess the ability to implement automation technologies and tools at any level, from requirements to development to testing and operations. Able to provision and configure infrastructure with code, including automated connection of infrastructure to monitoring tools. Experience with PowerShell, Chef, or other infrastructure automation tools required. Experience with on-premise Hyper-V and cloud (Azure, Amazon Web Services, etc.) infrastructure providers is also a huge plus.
- Experience managing/administering Windows and Linux systems
- Understanding of software development methodologies and COTS software integration
- Experience with linguistics, Bible translation, or other relevant subject areas a plus but not required.
- Previous experience in developing requirements, opportunity assessments and/or technical alternatives is preferred
- Some experience/exposure to leading and facilitating business requirements gathering
- Has personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Should sense a call from God to ministry and have a genuine caring for people
- Should have personal warmth that invites confidence and possess a personal integrity that is above reproach
- Ability to be at east with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Demonstration of the attitudes of a servant leader
- Ability to facilitate and coordinate the work of others
- A never give up attitude and a desire to dig in deeper when investigating a problem
- Highly self-motivated and directed with a keen attention to detail
- Ability communicate effectively in oral and written form
- Ability to work effectively with a virtual team
- Is reliable and can keep commitments
- Ability and strong desire to learn new technologies, improve skills, and adapt to change