$80K — $100K *
The Environmental Sciences Division (ESD) of Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) has an opening for a Technical Professional in its Earth Sciences Informaticsportfolio. You will help develop modular and scalable software tools and infrastructure for data processing and data center operations in the Earth, climate, and environmental sciences, such as the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Data Center.
You will work independently and/or as part of a team in research, analysis, and operations of backend data flow processes, including analyzing scientific data-related problems and formulating the necessary solutions; using information technologies (i.e., Python, Bash scripting, and PostgreSQL) and learning new technologies; conducting requirements analysis; developing automated workflows; using scriptinglanguages; knowledge of Linux command-line interface; working with open source tools; database relationships and query development; configuring, deploying and executing backend processes on Linux based servers; ability to work with distributed and diversified teams on various data flow processes; ability to multitask; create documentation for developers, other operational team members, and program staff.
We are seeking a self-starter willing to develop expertise in data preparation for archiving and distribution, as well as advanced data tools development and data flow operations. The following skills and experience are desirable:
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems or related field.
• Two years of progressive Linux systems administration, including experience in monitoring and management of data workflows and standards.
• Experience in working in a Dev/Ops environment.
• Strong software experience in building data analysis, visualizations, or automating data workflows using modern technologies.
• Experience working with scientific data is a plus.
• Knowledge and experience in software languages such as Python and scriptinglanguages.
• Knowledge and experience in database applications such as PostGreSQL and database query language.
• Knowledge of any of the following is a plus: web servers (Apache, NGINX, Tomcat, etc.), DNS (bind), OpenLDAP, databases (PostGreSQL, MySQL, NoSQL), virtualization and container infrastructure (VMware, Docker, Kubernetes), storage and communication protocols (zfs, nfs, ftp, scp, etc.), HPC/cluster technologies (Slurm), and monitoring (Nagios, Checkmk).
• Good communication skills in English, both oral and written.
• Desire to learn and adopt new tools and technologies as required by the projects.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
Valid through: 6/7/2021
$160K — $200K + $75K bonus *