Founded in 2008 by world-renowned virologist, author and thought leader - Dr. Nathan Wolfe - Metabiota is the pioneer in comprehensive risk analytics that improve the world’s resilience to epidemics. Built on a strong foundation of epidemiology and international field science, including a worldwide network of on-the-ground experts, Metabiota delivers actionable, data-driven insights that help countries, governments and corporations manage and mitigate infectious diseases. With a strategic global presence and sustained partnerships, Metabiota’s agile approach is helping the world track, transfer and terminate the riskassociated with epidemic threats. The company’s international footprint includes operations in 20 countries and offices in San Francisco, Washington, Ukraine, China, Canada, and Sierra Leone.
As a member of Metabiota’s engineering team, you will be a key contributor as a DevOps Engineer responsible for the efficient development of leading-edge computational products enabling a novel epidemic and pandemic risk-focused applications and data ecosystem for a variety of critically important use cases. The architecture is based on a pipeline of highly scalable and distributed infrastructure components and services ranging from various data ingestion, scalable big data platform, analytics engines, data warehousing and external facing services. You will have the opportunity to work hand in hand with a truly global cross-functional team including product leaders, developers, data analysts and computational scientists.
Your Profile – Who you are:
Specifically, you have:
* A Computer Science/Master of Science/Engineering degree from a top university
* Knowledge of best practices and operations in always-up, always-available services based on Big Data and Web Technologies with Micro-service Architecture
*Experience in creating and maintain cloud infrastructure and automating deployment in AWS, or Azure, Google Cloud Platform
*Experience and knowledge in maintaining and tuning Hadoop clusters (preferably Cloudera CDH)
*Experience in build automation and CI/CD automation with existing open-source solutions (preferably Jenkins and Gradle)
* Familiarity with system automation/configuration management using either Puppet, Chef or equivalent
* Strong scripting skills, preferably in python, ruby or bash.
* Strong background in Linux/Unix Administration
* Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills
* Excellent oral and written communication skills. Collaborative design and peer-reviews are the bread-and-butter of our engineering culture!
*Experience with Containerization with Docker, Mesos, Kubernetes on AWS or equivalent
*Experience in a technical on-call capacity, responding to customer impacting events, mitigating issues and performing root cause analysis
* Coding skills with OO programming on JVM based languages (Java, Scala) in multi-threaded Linux/Unix environment