DevOps Engineer - Smiths Digital Forge
Smiths Digital Forge is a hyperdynamic start-up incubator located in Fremont, CA. Backed by Smiths, a London Stock Exchange-listed UK multinational, we push the boundaries of technology for its portfolio of companies by engineering the bleeding edge of tomorrow's definition of "possible."
From medicine to energy to aerospace, our talented engineers and developers are creating the modern world, one innovation at a time.
And at Smiths Digital Forge, we give them the freedom to create. Our state-of-the-art work space features absolutely everything innovators need to design, create, and test prototypes in-house. All in a gorgeous, brand new Silicon Valley environment. Create freely, fail fast, innovate always. That's how we work at Smiths Digital Forge.
The Smiths Digital Forge is currently seeking a DevOps to join our team.
The DevOps/Build Engineer drives increased efficiency and quality of our automated build pipelines and processes. This position is responsible for software builds and releases as well as improving the technology solutions on the team.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for developing, supporting and maintaining software for various Smiths products.
- Ability to prototype and change technical course at short notice based on feedback
- Identify suitable build and deployment schedules and initiate packaging and build processes
- Work well with a team of skilled developers and other engineers to maintain and enhance a robust build pipeline
- Work in an open culture where design, code and ideas are open to scrutiny and discussion
- Perform as a technical liaison for Engineering and operations on every aspect associated with final software product release and control baseline issues
- Write effective documentation
- Monitor automation systems, proactively respond to breakages
- Correct build errors by working with development engineers
- Work with an agile developmental approach w.r.t new software and releases
- Prepare, evaluate and maintain various tools and processes for software product release
- Design, manage and execute tools and scripts to develop different versions of products
- Comply with and ensure department compliance with Company health, safety and
- environmental policies
- Comply with all applicable U.S. export control and security regulations
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related fields
- 2+ years of programming in C#, Java, or related OOP language
- 2+ years of experience as Build and/or DevOps engineer
- Experience with Software Version Control systems (Git, Subversion)
- Knowledge of CMake and other build systems
- Experience in GitHub workflow and working knowledge of configuration management tools included but not limited to: CVS, SVN, ClearCase, Perforce, Artifactory
- Some knowledge of Build Tools and Languages included: Java, C, C++, Ruby, Python
- Experience working with server clusters running on Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, or Amazon AWS.
- Knowledge of embedded toolchains like Yocto and integrating these into automated build suites.
- Experience maintaining automated build systems such as Jenkins/Hudson.
- Experience in writing tools and applications to automate build tasks.
- Comfortable with IaC (infrastructure-as-code) as a philosophy and tools involved in an IaC based approach
- Knowledge of Docker, Ansible, Vagrant is necessary (Salt, Puppet, Chef is a plus)
- Windows, Mac, and Linux system administration experience: ssh, monitoring, disk management
- Experience implementing Continuous Integration or Continuous Delivery processes in engineering teams
- Experience managing and integrating test automation into various points in a deployment pipeline
- Able to document procedures for building and deploying
- Excellent debugging skills to root cause build and tests failures
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills