With more than 5,000 global education clients, Blackboard is shaping the future of education services delivery around the world. We’re at the intersection of technology and education in a time of amazing innovation and disruption, and we’re serious about reimagining how education services are developed and delivered.
As a member of the Blackboard’s Austin team, you will join a group responsible for industry leading SaaS products. Our team includes engineers, designers, and product managers, all focused on improving student success around the globe. We believe in agile practices to build our software and continuously delivering features and improvements to our users. You are a person who is always pushing your teammates to do their best work and intolerant of anything else. Our team believes that a successful product is built by working with designers, product managers, and operators to understand the full cycle of software development.
We are adding a DevOps Engineer to our team that will add another nine to our uptime and delight engineers who work in our environments. This person will work with engineering teams to design and build system infrastructure that is automated, elastic, and reliable. The tools your build and provide will increase automation, consistency, and confidence in all platforms. Every change to the environment must be checked into git and deployed. In a teammate, we hope that you challenge conventional wisdom and encourage everyone to have simpler solutions. You will be an opinionated teammate that is interested in the products we work on and have a passion for improving student success.
Our team is focused on centralizing configuration management with Chef, Continuous Integration with Jenkins, and deployment with Capistrano. These projects represents an overhaul of our infrastructure will be the majority of the work that carries us into early next year. We will offer push button environments that an engineer can run locally, can be deployed to a VMware stack for Continuous Integration, or AWS for production.
- Passion for with Configuration Management with Chef. Automating every environment is a requirement.
- Ability to harness all that AWS has to offer - you'll be spinning up new scalable environments quickly and keeping our AWS accounts tidy and efficient.
- A love of New Relic, Zabbix, Splunk, StatsD, and any other telemetry available.
- Success with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery. Be a champion for building tools that support engineers building and deploying their own code.
- 5 years of Linux administration experience for SaaS software and databases.
- Experience administering MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Docker.
- Desire to make education better. You have ideas about how Big Data can help students be more successful.
- Background in software development and/or OOP
- Contributions to open source software projects