unizin - Austin, TX
All candidates are encouraged to apply. Unizin respects diversity and relies on our employees' varied backgrounds and perspectives to spark innovation.
Passionate about building and delivering great products with purpose?Want a "change the world" vibe that is within reach and gaining momentum? If you are an operations and automation focused backend engineer with the right stuff, Unizin is the company for you.
We are a not-for-profit organization funded by member university investments and governed by those institutions with a mission to improve student success through digital teaching and learning. We are committed to advancing the state of the art in the instructional content, teaching and learning experiences, data and learning analytics, and standards.
Own a piece of the inevitable change in education - come to Unizin and make a difference.
We're a growing team of developers, engineers, and UX researchers and designers. We iterate quickly, release often, and have a strong devops mentality.
What We're Looking for:
- You have at least 4 years of experience
- You love deployment and learning new things
- You're motivated, talented, and spirited
- You're experienced in infrastructure operations using AWS
- You're experienced in continuous integration and automation
- You have worked on production software projects that scale
- You have a strong point of view, like a good argument, but listen well too
- You take performance seriously - because you know a faster web is a better web
What You'll Do:
- Be a part of a collaborative, friendly, and open environment with a small team
- Implement and improve continuous integration and deployment tools and procedures
- Manage application and infrastructure scalability, availability, and performance
- Deploy and manage application and infrastructure monitoring tools
- Guide developers to solutions with appropriate cost/reliability/performance characteristics
- Design and develop backend software in Python, Java, Node.js, and Clojure
- Respond to production incidents as part of a rotation with other backend developers
- Enrich the team with your perspective
- Take on new projects to help team capacity
Required Skills to be Considered for this Position:
- Ubuntu Linux
- Shell Scripting
- AWS EC2, S3, RDS, CloudFormation, IAM
Skills that will set you apart from everyone else:
- AWS CloudFront, SQS, Redshift, DynamoDB
- Google Cloud Platform
- Canvas by Instructure
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits
- Relocation assistance
- Flexible working hours
- An opportunity to work withother smart, motivated, and dedicated people
In response to the rapid pace of technological advancement in higher education, a number of leading research universities formed Unizin. The Unizin Consortium is working to improve the digital learning experience by providing an environment built on collaboration, data, standards, and scale. Unizin is membership-based and governed by those institutions as a not-for-profit service operator. It is currently composed of 25 institutions and more than 800, students, making it the largest educational system in the country.
Unizin is intent on making digital teaching and learning central to pedagogy by providing a dynamic ecosystem of content, systems, and tools to facilitate this vision. A fundamental aspect of Unizin’s mission is to improve the accessibility and affordability of digital course materials via the use of publisher proprietary content, open education resources (OER), and institutional generated content (IGC). Unizin is focused on helping its institutions achieve their student success goals by leveraging innovative digital teaching and learning tools and systems and providing analytics that deliver insight to drive instruction and policy. Unizin institutions can use these products and services for a range of modern instruction scenarios, including in-person and online courses, massive open online courses (MOOCs), or flipped classrooms.
Job Type: Full-time
- DevOps: 2 years