NCBI is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). NCBI is the world’s premier biomedical center hosting over six million daily users that seek research, clinical, genetic, and other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health – at NCBI you can literally help to accelerate cures for diseases! NCBI’s wide range of applications, platforms (node, python, Django, C++, you name it) and environments (big data [petabytes], machine learning, multiple clouds) serve more users than almost any other US Government Agency according to https://analytics.usa.gov/.
DevOps Adoption Tech Lead shares the duties and responsibilities of DevOps Adoption Engineer, and has additional Team Lead duties.
As an Engineer embedded with the Customer:
Lead a technical team of DevOps infrastructure engineers.
- Attend customer team meetings
- Participate in the Customer's Agile process.
- Pay close attention to the needs of the Customer from DevOps, communicate them to the DevOps team and try to accommodate them quickly and pragmatically.
- Identify DevOps platform gaps as compared to Customer's needs
- Introduce custom solutions with caution and pragmatism, after discussions with the team.
- Depending on the circumstances, custom solutions may remain custom or they may help evolve the DevOps platform.
- Optimize for speed of product delivery rather than perfection of the solution.
As a member of the DevOps team:
- Stay on top of the DevOps platform development
- Stay in close touch with other embedded DevOps engineers (AKA Embedded DevOps Peers)
- Collaborate with the DevOps Platform Engineers (AKA DevOps core).
- Ensure DevOps Enterprise standards and principles in Customer's solutions
- Ensure DevOps is aware of any new use cases and patterns that you see while working with the Customer.
- Share experience and your solutions with DevOps core and Embedded DevOps Peers.
- Participate in discussions on evolving the Enterprise Platform to accommodate new use cases.
- Help evolve and test the DevOps platform by applying it in the real world.
As a Team Lead:
- Lead a team of adoption Engineers.
- Work with DevOps Technical Program Manager and Product Manager to clarify adoption strategy and priorities
- Play a role of Scrum Product Owner
- Define product scope with Stakeholders
- Prioritize deliverables
- Prioritize team's work allocation
- Negotiate priorities with Stakeholders
- Plan product releases
- Plan Sprints
- Set expectations with the Customers and for the adoption team
- Set business metrics for the adoption projects
- Strive for Customer Satisfaction, while growing DevOps adoption
- Ensure DevOps platform standards are being met.
- Organize the adoption team as needed
- Ensure team members understand their duties and responsibilities
- Provide coaching and mentoring for the team
- Mentor individual team members, so they can meet and exceed expectations
- Select candidates and interview for staffing open positions
- Administrative supervisory duties: attendance, feedback for performance reviews
- Management/Leadership skills
- Customer-focused, team-oriented disposition
- Excellent communication and soft skills to deal with with customers, peers and management
- Good judgement, sense of integrity and responsibility
- Experience in playing a Product Owner role for an Agile team
- Expertise in at least one programming language, such as Golang, Python, Java, Kotlin, Scala, C, C++
- Solid understanding of CI/CD and experience with Git/Svn, GitHub/BitBucket/GitLab, Jenkins/TeamCity
- Solid Linux skills
- Experience with AWS, GCP or Azure
- Solid understanding of networking, proxies
- Solid understanding of web development but no need to be an expert web developer
- Solid understanding of distributed systems and micro-services
- B.S. in a STEM field (Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics)
- Alternatively, equivalent industry experience in Software Development
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident with the ability to attain a Public Trust clearance
Location: Bethesda, MD / Rockville, MD
- Presentation skills
- Coaching skills
- Monitoring products (TICK/TIGK stack (Telegaf, InfluxDB, Grafana, Kapacitor), Prometheus, Stackdriver, etc.)
- Logging products (ELK, Splunk, etc.)
- Containers (Docker, rkt, etc.)
- GitLab experience
- Cluster schedulers and container orchestrators (Kubernetes, Nomad or Apache Mesos)
- HashiCorp products (consul, Terraform, Vault, packer, Vagrant)
- Service Mesh (istio/envoy, linkerd, consul connect)
- Blue/Green and Canary Deployments
- SQL and NoSQL databases