Job Title: Development Engineer
Reports To: Manager of Device Development
About the team: The Device Development team is a small group of engineers and technicians responsible for forward-looking R&D to boost the efficiency and manufacturability of Alta’s III-V photovoltaic solar cell technology. We currently hold the world record for sunlight-to-electricity conversion efficiency for single-junction solar cells under non-concentrated sunlight.
What we need: The Device Development team is seeking a highly-motivated engineer to help push our solar cell performance towards physical limits, and to develop new device structures.
What you’ll do: Design, simulate, fabricate, and characterize new device structures for improved performance and improved integration into an interconnected module (array of solar cells)
Skills you’ll need
- M.S. or Ph.D. in physics, electrical engineering, materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, or related fields
- 2+ years of experience with device simulation and design, particularly involving heterojunctions
- 5+ years of experience in an R&D environment required. Additional experience in a manufacturing environment preferred.
- Experience with atomic layer deposition (ALD)
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and persistence
- Proven track record of fundamental and creative problem solving
- Excellent communication skills and a positive, creative attitude. Excellent team player.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office required
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with semiconductor (preferably III-V) device design, device processing, device characterization, and materials characterization
- Experience with the simulation of solar cell devices using Crosslight and/or AFORS-HET preferred
- Additional software and/or programming skills (e.g. IgorPro) preferred
- Experience with III-V photovoltaic devices and materials preferred
- Experience with the characterization of compound semiconductor materials preferred
- Experience with the deposition and characterization of transparent conductive oxides (TCOs) preferred
- Experience with physical vapor deposition (PVD) techniques and tools, such as sputtering, thermal evaporation, and electron beam evaporation preferred
- Experience with field effect transistor design, fabrication, and characterization preferred
This position is not eligible for immigration sponsorship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.