Room to Read’s Development Director, North America, leads the New York and San Francisco based team responsible for fundraising from Individuals and Family Foundations (IFF) in the US and Canada.
The Development Director, North America is also responsible for collaborating closely with the Corporations and Foundations (CF) and Annual Fund (AF) on activities that impact fundraising in the North America market.
The Development Director, North America, is a member of the Development and Communication Department’s (DevCom) Senior Leadership Team.
This position is based in New York City and reports directly to the Chief Development and Communications Officer, located in San Francisco at our Global Headquarters.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage a team of fundraisers in New York and San Francisco to raise more than US$13MM annually. Provide management and leadership to the North America development team consisting of five full-time staff (two in New York and three in San Francisco) whose collective primary responsibilities include donor management and soliciting donations, maintaining accurate donor records, financial management, organizing fundraising events, coordinating with local volunteer chapters and representing Room to Read throughout the region.
- In conjunction with other DevCom sub-teams, develop and implement North America’s annual fundraising goals and strategy, including (but not limited to): fundraising and awareness-raising events, marketing and communications strategy, pipeline development, annual fund, corporate fundraising, HNW/UHNW fundraising.
- Oversee and facilitate efforts across the IFF, CF, and AF teams in North America and contribute to the market’s US$21MM+ annual revenue goal.
- Establish and monitor revenue goals for all areas of development in the North America region; responsible for revenue forecasting and reporting on revenue for North America throughout the year.
- Support leadership (including CEO and Founder) and Regional Development Boards as they represent Room to Read to various constituencies.
- Manage the New York (and prospective Bay Area) Board in collaboration with Founder, CEO and CDCO.
- Manage New York’s signature annual gala event, working in conjunction with the New York Board, to implement an ambitious growth strategy.
- Manage an individual portfolio of relationships with UHNW donors in the region with a goal of raising a minimum of US$3.5MM+ annually.
- Represent Room to Read at fundraising events, pipeline opportunities, and in donor meetings.
- Serve as a member of the DevCom Department’s Senior Leadership Team and collaborate with other Development Directors on strategic global undertakings.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 10 years work experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented organization with at least 2 years of nonprofit development experience
- History of dedicated volunteer activity and/or commitment to nonprofit organizations
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute major gift activities and success raising USD 2.5 – 3 million annually.
- Positive initiative and mature judgment
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Able to balance competing priorities, complex situations and tight deadlines
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills in English
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people
- Experience raising six and seven figure gifts both independently and with Boards.
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, commuter benefits and a 401K match.
The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.