Federal Realty Investment Trust is a proven leader in the ownership, operation, development and redevelopment of premium retail real estate in the country's best markets. We consider ourselves one of the most innovative and dynamic real estate companies one can work with. Interested candidates who research Federal Realty learn about our high quality community shopping center and mixed use property portfolio. Federal Realty’s well-respected real estate investment and management team delivers a significant combination of modest and large, value-add investments that can make working at Federal rewarding. While Federal Realty is one of the largest publicly traded real estate investment trusts in the country, as measured by the value of our assets, we're functionally a small company by most standards and we operate that way. Team members with initiative and proven ability get involved in many facets of executing Federal’s business plan. We encourage you to look us up on LinkedIn and follow Federal Realty Investment Trust.
We are seeking a dynamic individual, with past success as a Development Director and strong knowledge of the New England region and marketplace. Demonstrable retail and mixed-use development experience is a requirement. The Development Director’s responsibilities include strategic investment management and project execution for the development of mixed use and community shopping center opportunities located in the New England region. Day to day activities include partnering with the SVP-Development in managing the development/construction team and other key constituents such as leasing, property management, financial analysts and asset managers to successfully execute the development phases.
- Strategic project planning and execution for multiple development opportunities.
- Secure regulatory land use entitlements, requisite jurisdictional site plan approvals and permits required to proceed with development. Meet with public agencies and neighborhood groups to develop support.
- Comprehensively manage design processes including project master planning, civil engineering, architecture, traffic engineering, geotechnical, environmental, lighting, landscape and graphic design.
- Negotiate partnership deal structures with public agencies and other private developers, if applicable, for components of the developments.
- Partner with leasing agents establishing merchandising plans and lease-up schedule.
- Work with in house construction representatives to manage general contractors through the design process to confirm budgets, schedule and constructability. Assist construction to successfully manage the project through completion.
- Create and manage the development pro-forma. Work with financial analysts and development accounting to create and maintain systems that provide accurate cost reporting.
- Create and manage the development schedule.
- Manage and direct tenant coordinators for the project.
- Work with marketing to appropriately market the projects to tenants and the general public.
- Collaborate with our acquisitions team to identify new opportunities.
- 10 – 15 years of proven retail and mixed-use real estate development experience
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in related field
- Background in Planning or Design
- In depth knowledge of engineering and architectural plans
- Working knowledge of contract law, zoning law, real estate finance, and construction management
- Ability to demonstrate strong financial analysis skills
- Strong management and leadership skills including the ability to motivate and guide a team
- Must be a motivated, self-starter with ability to productively work in a team environment effectively communicating and sharing information with people in other departments within the company
- Effective communicator (written and oral) with strong presentation skills