The Red Cross is seeking a fundraising leader to work with the Chief Development Officer and lead the Development team. The successful candidate will have created strong corporate relationships, cultivated donors and met or exceeded financial goals. This position is responsible for a $500K annual revenue target by working with an assigned portfolio of corporate and individual donors and prospects. This role will direct and oversee the work assignments and performance of three Regional Philanthropy Officers, other staff and volunteers.
1. Strategy: Develops and executes ongoing strategy for qualifying suspects and moving them to prospect status using tools such as small cultivation events, research and community networking, with a goal of 30% of the portfolio having been identified by the Development Director. Works collaboratively with other departments and partners with development staff at the National Office to create customized solicitation strategies matching the objectives of the organization and interests of the donor/prospect.
2. Fundraising Targets and Portfolio Management: Manages a portfolio of donors and prospects. Responsible for minimum annual fundraising goal ($500,000 for the current fiscal year) as specified in performance standards, including both renewable gifts and new incremental revenue. Personally solicits assigned donor portfolio, including preparation of personalized materials when needed. Revenue target may increase due to major domestic disasters.
3. Prospect Development: Works with community Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward appropriate donors. Identifies potential planned giving prospects among assigned donors and partners with Region's assigned Gift Planning Officer to solicit those prospects. Implements programs/activities to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors at the $2,500 level or higher, with an emphasis on maximizing revenue for the American Red Cross. Updates donor records in region and/or district database and Salesforce.com following donor contacts.
4. Relationship Development: Develops ongoing relationships with major donors for the benefits of the American Red Cross. Accountable for cultivating relationships for individual fundraising, organizational fundraising or both as outlined below:
a. Individuals: Cultivates relationships with individual donors personally and by supporting volunteer leaders in peer-to-peer outreach, (if appropriate) using giving societies such s the Tiffany Circle Society of Women Leaders as a key program.
b. Organizations: Cultivates, solicits and stewards support from corporations and foundations to meet annual fundraising goals within their Regions. This includes assisting corporations in achieving their goals in strengthening their brand, marketing, and employee engagement by being proficient at clearly articulating Red Cross programs, listening to corporations' needs and aligning programs to their interests, preparing grant proposals, and engaging foundation staff and foundation board members to cultivate and solicit support for the American Red Cross.
5. Staff and Volunteer Management: Provides strong leadership, develops and sets individual and team performance goals and manages/drives change. Hires, manages, trains and evaluates staff and volunteers. Finds and implements ways to improve or increase the quality and production for the work directed.
6. Participates in disaster relief fundraising projects as appropriate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Education: Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree is highly desirable.
Experience: Minimum 7 years of major gifts leadership experience. Proactive development leader with an established track record of increasing philanthropic revenue from diverse constituencies Experience in the development and implementation of a broad-based fundraising program including personally opening doors, cultivation and successfully closing major gifts. Corporate and/or Business-to-Business sales leadership experience may be substituted for fundraising experience. Significant expertise with the area's funding community highly desirable. Progressive experience in successful development programs and knowledge of "best practices" in development.
Management Experience: Minimum 3 years supervisory experience.
Skills and Abilities: Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple constituencies and audiences. Excellent verbal and written skills. Knowledge of office systems: MS-Office preferred and fundraising database systems (e.g., Salesforce.com). A team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment and to ensuring the highest customer service orientation.
Travel: Requires frequent travel within the Detroit area with some travel within the region. Overnight trips are rare. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions. A current valid driver's license and good driving record is required.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements
Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.