This position will lead the company’s land development initiatives. The land development manager will provide the appropriate interface with regulatory and entitlement agencies, supervise the design teams, and secure entitlements and permits.
The company is also considering suburban land development opportunities and entering other Carolina markets, most notably the surrounding counties. The position will play a vital role in this strategic decision.
The company also provides land acquisition/ brokerage services for a distinguished clientele list of multi-family, single-family, and townhome builders/developers.
The candidate will develop preliminary land development plans such as fit studies, perform initial ordinance compliance assessments, lead the plan review process, and be the primary liaison with design firms and entitlement consultants. If the company sponsors vertical construction, this position may assist the marketing team as the secondary customer contact. The manager will direct the interface with the design team and initially assist with, but eventually direct, the management of the grading contractors and other sub-contractors.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure timely completion of due diligence activities
- Assists with identifying land planning considerations for proposed projects
- Provide site inspections to identify project status, progress, and risk management
- Development and monitor schedule
- Create, maintain and manage site development budgets, invoicing, and reports
- Inspect and manage the fieldwork to ensure that projects stay on track, within schedule and adhere to strict quality standards
- Ensure quality and cost effectiveness of projects are maintained always
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with contractors, engineers, municipalities, agencies, and construction associates
- Prepare contracts and negotiate revisions, changes and additions with engineers, consultants, suppliers, and contractors
- Supervision of general contractor for vertical developments
- Provide input and participate in strategic planning for the team and third-party vendors to identify growth prospects, best practices, etc.
- Assist third-party contractors in the preparation of quantities and cost estimates for projects
- Must be capable of managing small to mid-size projects to meet budgets and schedules
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members to ensure project objectives (scope, schedule, deliverables) are met in accordance with established metrics
- Provide technical expertise for construction documents preparation
- Review and approve monthly general contractor AIA draw request
- Work with project management team to identify impediments and develop/implement solutions to overcome obstacles
- Prepare preliminary residential site plans, via AutoCAD if possible
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree with a focus on Civil Engineering or Urban Planning. Training in construction management, real estate or related discipline is a plus
- Knowledge of City of Charlotte Zoning Ordinance
- Knowledge of Mecklenburg County land development process / regulations
- Strategic thinker
- Ability to organize and analyze data
- Keen attention to details
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic and ability to work autonomously
- Desire to grow enterprise and participate financially in growth
- Three to five years of experience in land/development planning; some residential construction management experience desirable
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to drive between work sites
- Experience with site development and engineering
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (primarily Word and Excel)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
The company offers a compensation package that includes a base salary plus bonuses based on the completion of strategic initiative assessments, such as evaluating the suburban land development arena, capabilities with CAD, management of the entitlement process, interfacing with governmental officials and staff, monitoring growth trends, representing TDC in public processes, etc. The benefits package includes:
- Health / dental insurance allotment ($500 / month)
- Company-provided term life, accidental death insurance
- Annual contribution of 3% of base salary shall be made to the employee self-directed retirement plan (amount excluded from the target compensation range.)
- Total project-based bonus range ($10,000 - $30,000) paid annually.
- Paid time off including holidays and vacation.