ENERGY FOR WHAT'S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We're working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About Transmission and Distribution
Southern California Edison's (SCE's) Transmission and Distribution Organizational Unit (T & D) is responsible for planning, engineering, constructing, operating, and maintaining transmission and distribution facilities throughout the 50,000-square-mile territory. T&D is the steward of roughly $19 billion in assets that safely and reliably deliver electricity to 14 million residents via SCE's 5 million customer accounts.
Develops layouts for components and systems and selects material. Prepares design drawings, calculations, and bills of material from engineering documents associated with the planning, design, construction, operation, and maintenance of the Company's distribution system, and telecommunication system. Performs complex design assignments within a specific engineering discipline. Performs tasks associated with a large project or a number of small projects. May lead a group and/or provide functional direction to other CAD designers and support staff. Provide information and makes recommendations having major impact to the project.
Responsibilities may include:
- Prepares scaled work order maps using computer aided design software (CAD) such as Autodesk Utility Design (AUD) and Design Manager (DM).
- Draws map(s) using the correct mapping symbols, call-outs, decals, proper tie downs, etc.
- Checks Planner's redlines for accuracy and completeness prior to completing the drafting/drawing.
- Completes engineering functions and calculations based on field information and redline from Planner (i.e., cable pulling, voltage drop, flicker, utilizing station sheets, etc.).
- Inputs pole loading information in SPIDA software based on field information and redlines from Planner.
- Prepares joint pole authorizations based on field information and redline from Planner.
- Inputs customer, project, and billing information (i.e., completes faceplate, verifies allowances, updates labor requirements).
- Consult with Planners and other planning personnel to prepare design drawings and modifications as required.
- Maintains a safety conscious work environment by influencing others to follow Edison safety protocols and safe work practices.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Eight or more years of design/drafting experience utilizing CAD software; OR at least six years of design/drafting experience utilizing CAD software with an Associate's degree.
- Three or more years of experience designing work orders applying SCE Design Standards.
- Experience working with Autodesk Utility Design (AUD) and Design Manager (DM) for preparation of work orders.
- Associate degree in Engineering field or two years in a technical school with emphasis in computer aided drafting (CAD), math, or engineering technology preferred.
- AutoCad, AutoDesk Software, and/or AutoCAD certificate preferred.
- Design/drafting in CAD for electric utility, electrical distribution design, engineering design, or construction work preferred.
- Experience with drafting and design practices and related engineering practices.
- Experience reviewing rough sketches, drawings specifications, and creating conceptual drawings in computer aided design software.
- Experience finalizing engineering product drawings with critical dimensions, performance specifications, and quality specifications to be in compliance with design standards and procedures.
- Experience conducting quality review on designs, checks for inaccuracies, omissions, or compliance issues and providing recommendations.
- Able to drive, traverse on uneven surfaces, occasionally lift up to 40 lbs., sit/stand for extended periods of time, work in various weather conditions, and possibly be in remote regions (coast, desert, and mountain) for extended periods of time.
- Ability to integrate work across relevant areas, manage information, and provide exceptional service to internal and external customers.
- Effective resource and project planning, decision making, results delivery, and the ability to stay current with relevant technology and innovation.
- Strong ethics, influence and negotiation, interpersonal skills, communication, and the ability to effectively manage stress and engage in continuous learning.
- Flexibility to attend 2 weeks training in a facility which may differ from base location.
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.