Under the direct supervision of the Group Lead and Director of Architecture, The Senior Architect works independently on various projects as assigned by Director of Architecture. He/she may oversee the entire design process or assist as a technical expert on a specialized design. The Senior Architect may work on several concurrent projects. When leading a project team environment, the Senior Architect will supervise his/her team members which may consist of Architects I, II, Architectural Designer I, II, or Senior Architectural Designer.
KEY ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assess the requirements of a project, break a project into tasks, and work with a Project Manager to determine scope of work, budget and staffing.
- Corrects and updates design documents. Develops solutions to design problems. Reviews drawings and documents to assure compliance with company, regulatory agencies, and production standards.
- Provides oversight for Architectural construction administration activities such as preparing bulletins, construction sketches, submittal review, and RFI responses as well as performing on-site observations and field support when called upon.
- Ability to develop Conceptual and Preliminary “BOD” write-ups based on client meetings
- Knowledge of applicable building codes. Work with code officials and other design professionals when an interpretation or exception to building codes is required.
- Assign and review work of project design team. Check progress of work and alert Project Manager to change of scope or additional services.
- Capable of recognizing design support abilities of team and empowering those to have opportunities to elevate their design capabilities through my challenging assignments.
- Ensures project specifications are delivered with company quality standards and are delivered on time as required by the client.
- Has comprehensive knowledge of building design including both building and GMP cleanroom compliance experience.
- Demonstrates the ability and interest to develop conceptual ideas to present to clients during proposal presentations.
- Research equipment selection from catalogs as needed for the project.
- Ensure acceptable levels of quality and checks for coordination of work to assure documents reflect design intent and necessary coordination
- Coordinates architectural design work with related engineering disciplines. Attend job and construction meetings and participate in the coordination of the work
- Assists the design team with design solutions by having the ability to interpret drawing mark-up drawings and execute changes on the project based on such mark-ups
- Review contractor application for payments. Has a thorough understanding of construction process.
- Coordinate all aspects of project document completion within company and externally with clients and other design professionals. Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Prepare workplans or review construction budgets based on experience and scope of project.
- Promote use of and participate in development of company design and production standards.
- Assist in the education and development of design staff and act as resource for design questions.
- Special projects as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
REQUIRED EDUCATION/QUALIFICATIONS /WORK EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 8+ years of architectural office experience or equivalent as a Registered Architect (RA)
- Bachelor Degree; Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.) degree with NAAB Accreditation is required, AIA/NCARB Membership/Accreditation preferred
- Ability to interpret a building program and generate varied design concepts. Knowledge of building and zoning codes and is capable of interpreting project specifications
- +6 years of Life Sciences Industry experience required
- Must be moderately proficient in the use of Autodesk Revit and possess a general understanding of BIM workflows
- Exceptional experience and knowledge of process, mechanical, structural, civil, electrical, plumbing, fire protection system design and how these systems integrate into architectural design.
- The ability to exhibit and develop strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proven team player with strong time management skills; must be able to manage multiple project teams at a time.
CONTEXT AND ENVIRONMENT AND SAFETY
- Travel duration, if any, is based on project complexity and location.
- This position is a safety sensitive position. The employee is designated for field work and attends activities at client sites where they work in construction, process, packaging, manufacturing, research or other "non-administrative" areas.
- Must exhibit an entrepreneurial spirit by consistently seeking new opportunities to add value to the organization. Must strive for excellence in all aspects of job performance.
- Must approach their work enthusiastically with a contagious energy and drive that shows everyone they love what they do.
- Must be capable and willing for upholding the highest level of professionalism by maintaining the Health, Safety, and Welfare for all their projects and occupants that will inhabit these projects.
- Must show competency in finding meaningful purpose and maintaining the upmost level of pride in their work.
- Must display creativity and innovation by continually working to improve solutions, tools, methods and service delivery system.
- Must conduct oneself with an uncompromising commitment to the welfare of our clients and each other. Must act in an ethical, professional and respectful manner at all times.
- Must be willing and able to maintain composure under pressure in order to meet schedule deadlines and budgets.
- Must be willing to keep an open mind and respect co-workers ideas even if disagreeing
- Must exhibit the ability to build and sustain long term relationships of mutual value through teamwork.
- Must be driven to succeed and committed to goal attainment.
- Must be willing to come to the office every day to learn something new, and when possible, teach something new to a co-worker.
- Must be punctual and capable of putting in the required time for project and office related events and activities.