Industry: Professional, Scientific & Technical Services•
11 - 15 years
Posted 115 days ago
The Design Principal has responsibilities of a principal throughout the firm as well as a direct role responsible for the leadership and oversight of the design process and output of the practice/office/studio they reside in. (S)he may be responsible for planning, coordinating, and overseeing the design process of a major project or projects through all phases of development and/or coordination of design resources and best practices throughout one or more practices. Where applicable, gives direction to assigned staff. Works with practice, office & studio leaders to assign appropriate staff for design efforts.
Will maintain budgets, schedules, and monitor adherence of terms of contract expectations in regards to design. Has responsibility for client contact and authority to direct, control, and monitor all project activities related to design. Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize. Ability to oversee several groups performing work or supporting work. Responsible for ongoing marketing and business development. Responsible for becoming a known presence in community and/or specific HMC markets segment.
Position will be housed in either our Ontario or Los Angeles studios.
Communication and Collaboration
• Direct overall verbal and graphic communication of complex project concepts to practice leadership, clients, public agencies, and project team members, and be primary point of contact for all client issues Write white papers and promote conference workshops on topics relevant to design and thought leadership on a regular basis.
• Direct and coordinate project design with team members and consultants.
• Establish productive working relationships, and deal effectively and cooperatively with practice leadership clients, team members, consultants, and government agencies.
• Display willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and accurate judgment; support and explain reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process; make timely decisions.
• Resolve issues related to team members and consultants.
• Ensure that coaching, mentoring, and performance-enhancing feedback of assigned team members are provided, especially in regards to the design process.
• Review of contractual obligations, and scope of service.
• Promote the brand, values, and design culture of HMC.
• Collaborate with Business Operation, Design, Project Management, Technical, and Business Development Area Leaders.
• Listen and communicate effectively and professionally in a wide variety of settings inside and outside the firm.
• Refine, document and distribute best practices and relevant case study projects to studios and teams within the practice.
• Refine/redefine practice design philosophy and approach along with guiding principles for process and outcomes.
• Coordinate the display of project imagery and branding stories on the HMC website and social media.
Supervision and Delegation
• Give assignments to office support staff, consultants, and vendors clearly, effectively, and professionally.
• Monitor employee design performance and take appropriate action to provide feedback on both positive and negative performance.
• Supervise and manage the design process for multiple projects and designers for all phases of projects.
• Ability to direct the design activities of several groups.
• Ability to lead and inspire others with integrity, commitment, and dedication to accomplish client, project and firm design objectives.
• Self-motivated and ability to work as part of a team or independently, depending upon the situation.
• Ability to travel as needed.
• Advise on design resource assignments related to project pursuits.
• Assure consistency and integration of design resources on project teams from pursuit through completion.
• Ability to write and edit design narratives.
• Prepare/edit marketing proposals.
• Direct or establish standards for the documentation of the design process.
• Participate in contract negotiations and fees with clients and consultants as required.
• Ability to review and edit specifications related to design intent.
• Understands all aspects of the design process and HMC design deliverables.
• Ensure that the design documents meet the client standards and all HMC protocols.
• Write articles for professional publications of architecture and construction industry.
• Speak or lecture in client, industry, and public forums concerning design.
• Write training material for staff development related to design.
• Write and develop project marketing interview materials. Participate and lead in project marketing interview.
• Act as the primary proponent for project pursuits.
• Ability to market project capability through public presentations and professional publications.
• Attend conferences, events, and other networking opportunities.
• Develop new client contacts.
• Develop a network of current and past clients and industry partners.
• Develop relationships with agency leaders in their markets.
• Represent HMC Design in the industry and in the community.
• Acquire work, or help to acquire work, that is in line with HMC firm, practice and office/studio goals.
• Strong client and customer orientation.
• Ability to participate as a PIC in market leadership in the firm.
• Ability to lead design culture within a core market/practice.
• Demonstrate motivation in seeking new responsibilities and challenges.
• Set goals, prioritize, and plan work activities for self-management and use time efficiently.
• Direct and prepare work plans and schedules for the design process, and coordinate schedule with project managers and PIC’s.
• Work collaboratively and effectively with PIC’s, project managers and project teams.
• Participate in the adjustment of design staffing when needed.
• Responsible for ensuring that all HMC procedures, standards, and protocols are followed.
• Manage risk (identify, define, assign, etc.)
• Lead the project team for Go/No Go decisions of project pursuits.
• Co-lead the office or studio as part of the Management Team.
• Serve as an example of HMC leadership that strives to achieve the firm’s strategic and business goals.
• Provide support and leadership to other practices, offices, studios, and groups.
• Participate in Practice Forum and Design Leadership meetings.
• Participate with other firm leadership in developing/refining HMC’s design goals and philosophy
• Ensure that project design supports firm's design goals.
• Direct, coordinate, and lead the Schematic and Design Development efforts of all sized projects.
• Work to ensure the design integrity of all studio & office projects through the Design Development,
Construction Document, and Construction Phases.
• Demonstrate broad creativity in architectural design and design excellence in all that we do.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the appropriate use of building systems, materials, and technologies.
• Show initiative in the research of alternative systems and materials.
• Direct the documentation of project design, such as three-dimensional CAD modeling, physical models, and product or material research in collaboration with PM.
• Direct and coordinate the preparation of various Design Communication and Presentation materials including: sketches, rendered 2D & 3D drawings, rendered perspectives, slide shows and material selection boards in collaboration with PM.
• Lead office design charettes, team design critiques and pin-ups.
• Provide a positive design leadership example to project teams and to the studio and office.
• Exhibit design leadership outside the firm in professional organizations and the public forum.
• Lead the process for determining which venues and projects the practice pursues design awards.
• Maintain proficiency with the best software and multimedia programs used to design, document and present our design solutions to clients.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the applicable building codes for use in design.
• Review cost models, cost plans, and cost estimates and conduct value analysis in design.
• Ensure that design, materials and systems meet HMC and client standards and are within budget.
• Direct and coordinate a project’s design intent through the construction document and construction phases.
• Review documents to ensure quality, coordination, and compliance with the requirements of deliverables and client standards in all phases.
• Oversee and resolve design issues during construction phase of all work under their supervision.
• Have working knowledge and follows HMC procedures, standards, and protocols.