Balfour Beatty Construction in San Diego, California is seeking a Safety Health & Environmental Director to help support the California division. This position serves as the primary company representative responsible for the overall direction of the company’s loss prevention function. Proactively implements company safety programs to enforce compliance on all divisional job sites and prevents accidents and reduces time lost due to accidents by developing, communicating and training on safety programs and policies.
- Enforces compliance with federal and state safety regulations on all projects.
- Develops and administers company’s loss prevention programs and policies with Loss Prevention and Operations staff.
- Participates in intra-company Loss Prevention Task Team meetings, initiatives and planning efforts.
- Reviews project plans and specifications and make recommendations to Operations on potential hazards.
- Oversees and conducts education and training programs for employees, subcontractors and owner representatives and ensure programs are effective and cost efficient.
- Conducts random safety and loss control surveys and audits; implements changes to meet identified needs.
- Manages incident investigations and open claims, and analyzes claim data for prevention solutions.
- Assists Project Safety Task Teams with weekly safety evaluations and necessary corrections.
- Ensures job startup kits and signs are prepared for projects.
- Ensures Loss Prevention team is communicating progress, issues, and new developments with company employees on a regular basis.
- Maintains division-wide records, including daily injury logs, OSHA 300 forms, meeting minutes, subcontractor correspondence, etc.
- Prepares and analyzes reports that summarize and forecast division activity and financial impact in areas of safety, worker’s compensation, and other loss prevention activity.
- Prepares and manages the Loss Prevention budget.
- Strives to continually seek feedback and improve services/tools/department deliverables to internal customers.
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations.
- Actively participates in industry, client, and community relations to enhance company image.
- Bachelor of Science in Safety & Environmental Health or related field.
- 10+ years of experience, preferably in the construction industry.
- Certified as a Construction Site Safety Technician (CSST) or Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST) required.
- 3 years or more of supervisory experience related to staff and subcontractors.
- Demonstrates proficiency using a personal computer (PC) and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
- OSHA 30 required.
- Willing to travel at least 25% of the time.
- California market experience helpful, but, not required.
- Tier 1 construction safety backgrounds helpful, but, not required.