Gensler’s San Francisco office is seeking a Senior Design Manager – Sciences to join our team of design thinkers and doers who specialize in helping to tell stories and create experiences in the context of science and technology spaces. Do you understand science “from the inside” and believe that the planning and design of science environments creates the opportunity for advanced innovation in research and results in healthier and happier communities? If you enjoy utilizing your technical life sciences expertise to solve complex problems, and create effective and well-designed environments for science, then this role is for you.
In this role, you will manage and lead project teams in the Sciences Practice Area, with direct accountability for project delivery on corporate, institutional, and/or academic science buildings. You will also be point of contact for client relationships and leadership on multiple projects.
What You Will Do
- Participate in the growth of Gensler’s Life Sciences Practice Area through industry, marketing, and business development activities
- Network in the industry to identify and pursue project opportunities in the Sciences market
- Provide leadership to client and teams by communicating and coordinating project objectives, contract scope, terms, and schedule
- Work directly with clients, scientists, researchers and related end-users and Gensler team to develop laboratory planning strategies at all levels of detail, including new construction and renovations
- Oversee innovative design strategies on multiple projects as well as client, team and project coordination
- Provide Subject Matter leadership on design and construction strategies for architectural and engineering systems on life science projects with an ability to lead project teams through the decision-making process to deliver high value, safe, responsive, sustainable, flexible, and robust facilities
- Prepare project proposals and negotiate contracts and fees
- Assist in developing project scope, plan, and services during the contract process
- Manage scheduling, budgets, staffing, and project set-up with clients, sub-consultants, vendors and contractors
- Assist with the process of bidding projects to multiple general contractors
- Offer and support creative, sustainability-focused laboratory planning, technical design and detailing decisions that are in line with project goals, yet pushing the envelope beyond traditional approaches to lab design
- Provide technical lab, documentation oversight and quality control (QC) reviews
- 15+ years of progressive experience in Architecture inclusive of 10+ years’ experience focused on science facilities such as: biology, cell/gene therapy, chemistry, academic research, teaching (science), pharmaceutical, cGMP process manufacturing, public health, clinical, vivarium, and/or bio-containment.
- Significant experience with programming, planning, design, and construction phases on science projects including laboratory research facilities with related workplace environments
- Knowledge of laboratory planning, design, construction documents, construction administration and project construction cost monitoring for lab facilities
- Experience leading programming and planning for science facilities with end-users is a plus
- Current participation with community, industry and professional science organizations is a plus
- Relationships with decision-makers in academic, institutional and/or corporate end-user science organizations is a plus
- Experience negotiating project scope, fees, managing project financial performance, and ensuring fiscal responsibility for projects
- Experience with the full project lifecycle, from programming through post-occupancy
- Experience with Collaborative / Integrated Project Delivery and Lean Delivery methods
- Knowledge of building codes, standards and building structures
- Experience with project management software, such as MS Project, a plus
- Working knowledge of Virtual Design and Construction
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architecture or related field
- Professional license or certification required
- LEED accreditation preferred
- Excellent communication skills
Life at Gensler
At Gensler, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions and hackathons, to “Well-being Week,” our offices reflect our teams’ diverse interests.
We encourage our employees to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flex spending, paid holidays and paid time off. We also offer a 401k, profit-sharing, employee stock ownership and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.