Oversee the On-Site design team at a client’s location. The Design Manager is an accomplished workplace professional who leads and inspires design solutions that reﬂect expression of placemaking - creating communities that inspire innovation, promote well-being and wonder, and just feel right. Ensures end users have freedom of self-expression and ownership, feeling both anchored by a sense of place in their work and in the world around them. Must be well versed in new ways of working, design innovation, workplace strategies, design culture and brand influence. Hire, retain and motivate the design team to do their best work. Must possess exceptional design skills and a diverse interiors portfolio that includes corporate/tech work. You are a critical thinker and creative problem-solver with talent for handling multiple, time-sensitive priorities. You exhibit outstanding communication skills and solid business acumen and judgment. You maintain a ‘big picture’ understanding and perspective. You are results-oriented and committed to delivering excellence both internally and externally.
- Manages designers, with a collaborative leadership style that puts the highest value on relationships and high-touch customer focus.
- Sets, guides, advises, and implements design solutions for the overall administration and organization of the interior design functions.
- Possesses exceptional customer service skills with ability to provide cutting edge solutions to meet client needs.
- Dedicated to researching innovative, smart office environments and creating advanced solutions with furniture, finishes and technologies.
- Maintains knowledge of the product oﬀerings in use, in inventory, and/or on the market to make the best possible recommendation for the project scope.
- Will work on projects that create the highest performing work environments possible by delivering projects that foster employee productivity, health, comfort, and happiness. Dedicated to the implementation of brand and culture into projects and services.
- Analyzes overall project performance data to determine optimization/improvement opportunities.
- Makes informed decisions and exercise prudent judgment with minimal guidance.
- Seeks to understand the client, business partners and pertinent internal One Workplace teams, cultivating partner relationships and creating synergies from project design through execution.
- Oversees budgets/quotes, track and maintain design/FF&E projects.
- Responsible for support and successful execution of goals for the business unit.
- Serves as project designer when needed, on selected projects—conceives and executes design, being mindful of clients’ needs and vision, requirements, project budget, schedule, and site issues.
- Conducts research and seeks thorough understanding of client needs for project requirements and design solution opportunities.
- Engages clients in explorations that respectfully challenge their understanding of appropriate interior design solutions.
- Communicates and recommends design intent in a clear and compelling way; demonstrates the incorporation of client’s requirements and goals within design solution.
- Assists in the preparation and delivery of design presentations to clients and drives consultant work to achieve design goals.
- Understands and enforces conditions of client contract/SOW. Mindful of potential additional design services needs of client.
Staff Development Responsibilities
- Prepares and delivers design staff evaluations, responsible for performance development, compensation decision-making and workload allocation processes of the department.
- Supports and develops continuing education opportunities (e.g., site visits, lectures, road trips) to expose design staff to influences which will stimulate design creativity and innovation.
- Participates in interviews and recruiting of professional staff.
- Encourages staff exploration and innovation to achieve project design excellence and continual improvement.
- Fosters and maintains a collaborative professional working relationship with management and project team members.
- Participates in value-added professional associations, maintain active membership, and attend conferences as appropriate.
- Leads design project reviews and critiques.
- Bachelor’s degree in interior design or architecture required. Master’s degree preferred. 10 plus years’ experience with interiors or architectural firm or division as a senior level Interior Designer responsible for the design and project management of interiors.
- 10+ years creative supervisory experience required.
- LEED Certification preferred.
- Experience with digital and traditional forms of design services.
- Prior experience with system furniture products and/or dealership experience desired.
Skills & Abilities:
- Must possess a high level of creativity and ability to design solutions that achieve relevant, high performing workplaces truly reflecting the client's unique culture with a focus on agile work environments, ancillary furniture, graphic wall applications, paint, and other aesthetic finishes and treatments.
- Must be able to work independently in situations that are fast-paced with constant interruptions and changing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to assess, mentor, train, and develop designers. Possesses a positive attitude and inspires the team.
- Advanced proﬁciency in a variety of software: AutoCAD, 20/20 CAP, Hedberg, Google Slides, Google Docs, GMail, with understanding of graphic design.
- Knowledge of 3D Modeling software, Virtual and Augmented Reality technologies and presentation methodologies.
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, and graphic software required.
- Ability to run multiple, myriad projects in commercial/Tech environments
- Thorough knowledge of project management practices and ability to juggle multiple deliverables to meet/exceed deadlines.
- Requires extreme attention to detail and ability to work in a deadline driven industry.
- Exceptional customer relationship skills with ability to provide solutions for an assortment of client needs and communicate effectively with all levels of corporate hierarchy.
- Thorough knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
- Significant talent in design, design development and project leadership for small to large-scale interior design projects.
- Advanced knowledge of design, trends, construction methodology, materials application and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness.
- Advanced knowledge of furniture, fixture, and equipment (FF&E), architectural/interior finishes, lighting, art, signage, color, and materials to carry out design intent.
- Ability to think strategically, implements change, enforces policy and resolves conflict.
- Thorough understanding of project work plans, schedules, staffing, and budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to execute projects profitably.
- Proven ability to prioritize oneself and the work of others to meet deadlines and provide high quality service to client.
- Responsible for setting, guiding, advising, and implementing design solutions and for the overall administration and organization of the interior design function.
- Keeps well connected with manufacturers and design industry to ensure access to newest and most innovative products and services available. Maintain leading edge prominence within industry. Keeps abreast of new products, trends, technology, and business/tech sector growth.
- Responsible for conceptual design excellence; initiates project design concepts and idea discussions and provides guidance to design teams during project design development.
- Seeing, color perception, hearing/listening, clear speech, hand and ﬁnger dexterity, and ability to move distances within and between warehouses/oﬃces, ability to get to project sites
- Ability to work on site full-time
- Complex reading and writing skills, data modelling skills, judgment/decision making, analysis/comprehension
- Proﬁcient in English language (reading, writing, speaking)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working Environment
- Regularly works onsite with others face-to-face, as well as via call-in meetings and email
- Generally, works in a fast-paced, fun oﬃce environment with moderate noise
- Nature of work may require some time spent out of the oﬃce, local travel