The Design Manager is responsible to help ensure successful delivery of McCarthy projects by managing the design process with regard to defining deliverables, scheduling design and defining potential obstacles, monitoring and developing work as required. McCarthy projects may include design-build projects and projects for which McCarthy performs preconstruction services (typically include design reviews, constructability reviews and value management of design documents).
- Define, schedule and monitor design deliverables on projects that include design build or other alternate forms of delivery.
- Monitor quality and timeliness of design deliverables to all parties.
- Coordinate all design document packaging strategies with McCarthy Project team.
- Interface with Project teams, internal and external, to develop expectations for content of design documents at various stages of design, to establish content quality and to define key milestones/metrics to verify expectations will be met.
- Inform McCarthy project team and other project participants of design status, design quality and liabilities related to design.
- Review design progress to prevent cost and scope creep.
- Manage all conflicts within the documents during all periods of the design phase to successful resolution for all parties
- Manage the RFI (design Issues) process for communication of questions and answers between the Owner and the design team.
- Manage the file management system for document control.
- Host and manage Value Analysis sessions as needed to look for cost effective details and material selections to maintain or improve the project budget or GMP.
- Become knowledgeable of all building codes (Including federal requirements if applicable)related to project. Monitor document development to ensure codes are incorporated into the design.
- Ensure that the project specifications meet the requirements of the project for compliance with local and federal regulations. Coordinate specifications and drawings to ensure requirements of each are properly coordinated. Ensure Owner program, design standards and expected outcomes are incorporated into the design.
- Coordinate with Owner vendors (such as equipment) to ensure requirements for Owner’s vendors are incorporated.
- Coordinate proposal submissions with BUL and Division Marketing to the extent required.
- Develop RFP’s for design firm responses or design build/ design assist subcontractor responses
- Prepare designer and subcontractor Scopes of Work. Coordinate design services between firms to ensure no gaps in design services.
- Coordinate contract terms and conditions with McCarthy team
- Coordinate responsibilities for BIM and develop workflows to support the use of BIM.
- Coordinate Co-location requirements for projects that Co-Locate.
- Coordinate with McCarthy team all preconstructionbudgets and constructionbudgets. Ensure that any changes to the budgets are clearly communicated to the team via a Trend Log.
- Develop plan to monitor design based on target budget(s) or systems budget(s) for construction.
- Coordinate with Owner all permits for construction. Develop relationship with permit agency (ies) to ensure all permits are in place to allow for construction.
- Coordinate with Owner all utility services for project. Inform Owner of utility encumbrances, timing and design to ensure un-interrupted construction operations.
- Become familiar with project development agreements as they apply, to ensure work performed by McCarthy is in conformance to these agreements. Advise client and project participants as required regarding development agreements.
- Coordinate with the McCarthy team initial budgets, GMP’s or Lump Sum values for Subcontractors performing Design Build or Design Assist services. Coordinate estimate updates with McCarthy team. Become familiar with all scopes and budgets to ensure a coordinated approach to estimating and design monitoring /scope monitoring.
- Develop initial Scope of Work for Design Phase Services with project team to ensure no gaps.
- Monitor design between estimate updates to report, review and determine corrective course(s) of action required to maintain or lower the overall budget.
- Coordinate / Integrate overall design deliverables, and constructionschedules with project staff
- Develop internal costs and metrics to inform team on design direction and cost comparisons for design.
- Develop BIM execution plan for project with BIM Manager
- Update McCarthy procedures (Precon, Field, etc…) to incorporate best Design Management techniques
- Present Design Management training at various Division training opportunities such as Project Manager Training, Project Superintendent Training, and Management Development Program Training
Quality Program Implementation
- Oversee Implementation of McCarthy Quality program and procedures, verifying critical quality elements are incorporated into the Design Documents and are part of the Construction Activities
- Participate in McCarthy Quality program site audits and reporting
- Review Claims & Latent Defects
- Build effective and strong relationships with Risk Management/Legal
- Build effective and strong relationships with Executive Management/Business Unit Leaders/Key Division Management
- Build effective and strong relationships with Key Owners/Architects/Engineers
- Document Lessons Learned and Best Practices
- 10 plus years’ experience in management positions managing and coordinating Design disciplines (this may be tough to find)
- BS in Engineering or Architecturerequired. MSpreferred Good verbal and written communication
- Excellent Facilitator capabilities
- Good understanding of the technical aspects of all building systems.
- Process oriented
- Proven experience working in the design phase of a project
- Ability to direct the design team to positive outcomes for the project.
- Focus on Key Design and Quality Process Characteristics (Define the End Goal, Work Done Right the First Time, Each Individual is Responsible, Verification - Not Inspection, Long-Term Focus, and Improved Results in Design Document Quality). Not Focused on Just Completing Checklists or Writing Plans
- Understands design, construction and operations and legal perspective of design.
- Hands-on field experience in design and construction
- Enjoys training others
- Team builder
- Specific technical expertise in building enclosures or MEP systems is desirable
- Good computer skills, including proficiency in Building Information Modeling (BIM) and software programs (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Access, Revit, Navisworks, QTO, etc.)
- Professional Engineer or Registered Architect preferred
- History of Affiliations with Professional Organizations preferred (i.e. AIA, CSI, ASHRAE, etc…)