· Analyze and design products by Finite Element Method and other structural design software taking into consideration both public safety, manufacturability, and minimum cost balancing competitiveness and profitability
· Interpret customer specifications, customer needs, and market/sales needs
· Communicate engineering data to the customer and others. The latter includes itemizing cost-related requirements of a quotation, including weights, reviewing engineering drawings and evaluating as-built product.
· Direct efforts of the Drafting Group to assure that project requirements have been properly detailed and that order processing proceeds smoothly and rapidly
· Internal relationships and communications that promote a professional attitude towards the work and the office environment
· Recommend changes in design criteria, analysis methods, drafting procedures and developing new methods and procedures when appropriate
· Recommend tests to confirm theoretical designs when necessary and plan and coordinate the testing
· Communicate information about new ideas, product and system improvements, etc. to encourage increased morale and efficiency throughout the company and to enhance Valmont’s image as the leader in our industry
· Improve work skills for advancement, specifically: knowledge of fabrication concepts; design requirements and advanced methods of analysis
Other Important Details about the Role:
The Design Engineer reports to the Director of Product Management - Solar, who reports to the Vice President and General Manager – North American Utility. At this continuing development level, the incumbent performs routine engineering work requiring application of standard techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out a sequence of related engineering tasks. General direction of a Senior Design, Design and/or Associate Drafter will normally be a part of this job. For training and developmental purposes, assignments may include work that may be otherwise typically of a higher level.
The products within the scope of this position are basically fabricated steel tracking support structures used for the support of solar PV panels for utility-scale solar farms. "Standard" structures include both support structures and drive equipment to enable tracking capability. Familiarity with the design requirements of other product lines may be required.
The work primarily includes interpretation of customer specifications and design and analysis of structures to meet those specifications, in combination with applicable national, technical society, and Valmont codes and specifications. The incumbent provides continuity of this function during the quotation and order processing stages. This involves direction, and possibly supervision, of the design and drafting process, selective checking of drawings, and significant interrelationship with other departments at Valmont Utility.
The incumbent provides the technical support in customer contacts on quotations and orders. Routinely, effective customer contact by telephone, letter, and email is required. Occasional supervised customer contact is included.
Assignments are screened for problems unique to the department. Work may be assigned which requires the incumbent to determine solutions using available resources, including the experience of other engineers. The incumbent receives instructions on specific assignment objectives, complex features and possible solutions. Assistance is furnished on unusual problems. Work is reviewed selectively during progress and upon completion.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
· Bachelor’s degree in Civil/Structural Engineering or related engineering field and 5+ years of relevant experience
· Successful completion of Engineer-in-Training Certificate
· One year of structural experience
· Sound technical competence in structural engineering
· A good understanding of the end use of the product and the nature of the design loads
· A good working knowledge of computer-aided design
· Excellent communication skills
· An understanding of the fabrication and welding procedures and processes and quality assurance requirements and methods used by Valmont for this product
· Passion and integrity with the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
· Travel outside of the US is required during initial training
· Candidate must have a valid U.S. passport for travel
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
· Direct Experience with Solar Trackers
· Master’s degree
· 3D Computer Aided Design experience
· Finite Element Analysis experience
· Licensed Professional Engineer (PE)
· Leadership characteristics.