LyondellBasell (LYB) is searching for a Design Engineer for the Houston Technology Center (HTC), located in Channelview, TX. HTC functions as the Research and Development (R&D) Center for LyondellBasell’s global Intermediates and Derivatives and Olefins businesses. We identify technological advancements that drive process and technology improvements, allowing LYB to sustain and build on our competitive advantages. HTC is located 19 miles from downtown Houston. As a member of a dynamic team, the Design Engineer is accountable for providing design, project execution, and engineeringsupport to the facility.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Designing of pilot-scale and lab-scale R&D equipment, including elements of mechanical, I&E, and control system design.
- Overseeing the construction and commissioning of R&D equipment to ensure that it conforms to site safety and design standards, local environmental and design standards, and effectively serves the purpose required by the R&D project.
- Preparing cost estimates and schedules for such equipment, and for controlling the project to budget spending and schedule.
- Effectively diagnosing and trouble-shooting of R&D pilot and lab equipment malfunctions, and for providing effective and timely repair solutions.
- Working effectively with R&D researchers, technicians, and management for competent execution of job functions and alignment of activities, and will report directly to the Site Manager, HTC
The Ideal Candidate Should Have:
- BS degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering.
- Minimum of 5years of relevant industrialexperience, with specific experience in pilot unit design preferred. Experiencewith building utilities, such as HVAC, is also desirable.
- Technical knowledge on pilot plant mechanical, I&E, control design and relevant equipment codes/standards.
- Knowledge on process chemistry, process safety, corrosion, and manufacturing operations is highly desired.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office software. Demonstrated experiencewith Computer Aided Design (CAD) is desirable.
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision, with excellent problem-solving skills, particularly with regard to chemical process equipment, R&D pilot units and lab units.
- Willingness to learn new skills, whether self-taught, on-the-job, or through formal training, and make effective use of these in the workplace.
- Excellent teamwork skills, with a demonstrated ability to work with a range of employees with differing backgrounds, skills, and job functions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing withinternal and external customers.
- Background in operational awareness, particularly with regard to process safety, industrial hygiene, and personnel safety.