About the us
We’re changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we’re a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it’s a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the team
The creative and brand team for Uber Everything primarily focuses on Uber Eats. We are here to build brand love and inspire action through thoughtful design, vibrant storytelling and delightful experiences. We are built like a small agency and are here both to uphold the brand and service the cities who need our support. We focus on all of the Uber Eats audiences - Eaters, Delivery Partners, and Restaurant partners.
About the Role
We are looking for a seasoned Design Engineer for our Creative and Brand team that focuses primarily on Uber Eats.
Design Engineers at Uber work closely with designers, writers, producers and engineers to create ground breaking technologies and systems. Design Engineers at Uber are passionate about the aesthetics and elegance of design solutions, and are able to work around technology limitations and invent novel ways to solve seemingly impossible problems. In a Design Engineering role, you will need both design and technical skills and a passion for both. They focus on rendering complex and data rich UIs that are beautiful, usable and pixel perfect.
A Design Engineer’s ultimate goal is to envision and ship great experiences, and you will use your skills to produce products that touch millions of users every day.
What You’ll Do
- Lead, coach and mentor a team of Design Engineers and front end developers to support Uber Everything.
- Develop engaging experiences using the latest in front-end technologies that will define our brand story in the digital space..
- Advise and drive strategic input into research, design, UX and Engineering team members.
- Expand the real-world constraints of engineering to increase design capabilities.
- Identify and prioritize efforts most impactful to design and engineering.
- Define and build tools and frameworks that can be largely used by the broader design and engineering team for a variety of needs, e.g., as a medium for designers to communicate an idea, as a tool for user research, or as a high-fidelity specification for engineers to build from.
What You’ll Need
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science, Design or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 6 - 8years of developing websites and applications. 2 - 4 year managing a building teams.
- Have proven track record of building brand experiences, acquisition and and marketing websites, ideally at a creative agency.
- Experience in modern web application architecture with ES6, React, Node.js, NPM, Yarn, WebPack
- Experience shipping and maintaining a medium-large scale web applications
- Excellent software engineering skills, with the intuition to make the right time vs. complexity trade-offs for rapid prototyping
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and stakeholder management skills
- Ability to deal with ambiguity to problem-solve in brand new domains
- Leadership abilities as they relate to experiential activations with multiple tracks of technical needs
- A passion for food