Illinois Tool Works Inc. (NYSE: ITW) is a diversified manufacturing company that delivers specialized expertise, innovative thinking and value-added products to meet critical customer needs in a variety of industries. ITW, with approximately 18 billion dollars in global revenues, operates 8 major segments with businesses in 58 countries that employ approximately 51,000 women and men. These talented individuals, many of whom have specialized engineering or scientific expertise, contribute to our global leadership in innovation. We are proud of our broad portfolio of more than 19,000 global patents and patent applications.
ITW Appliance Components serves all the major Appliance OEM in the US, Europe, Asia, Mexico and Brazil and their tier suppliers. This global division manufactures mechanical, electromechanical and electronic components and assemblies with a variety of manufacturing processes including injection molding, stamping, automated and manual assembly. We have units in the US, China, Mexico, Slovenia, Hungary, Bulgaria & Italy.
The division drives profitability by leveraging its innovative solutions and application engineering. In addition to ITW’s industry leading research and development capabilities, ITW Global Appliance enhances our customers’ competitive advantage by…
● Maintaining advanced global engineering and manufacturing facilities.
● Identifying customer needs to provide continued added value solutions.
● Continually improving processes, material and designs to ensure every solution exceeds customer expectations while providing unparalleled value.
The Senior Design Engineer will report to the Engineering Manager and will be responsible for conducting analytical studies on engineering proposals to develop designs for products by performing the following duties:
● Analyzes research data and proposed product specifications to determine feasibility of product proposal.
● Concepts designs in a timely fashion to aid in new product sales.
● Designs molded plastic, molded or stamped elastomer and stamped or formed metal parts
● Confers with research personnel to clarify or resolve problems and develop design.
● Prepares or directs preparation of product or system layout and detailed drawings and schematics.
● Determines product or system testing requirements and confers with quality assurance staff in setting up tests.
● Reviews and dispositions piece part inspectionreports.
● Creates test plans and reviews test results.
● Analyzes test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
● Confers with otherengineering personnel and prepares design modifications as required.
● Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering and design tasks.
● Leads team effort to complete design failure mode effects analysis.
● Performs detailed tolerance analysis for new products and changes to existing products.
● Reviews tool designs and directs and coordinates manufacturing or building of prototype product or system.
● Maintains/Creates project books (including documentation) in compliance with ISO 9001.
● Evaluates test results for possible application to development of systems or other uses.
● Analyzes mechanisms using free body diagrams, solid models or mechanism software and analyzes piece part stresses using hand calculations or finite element analysis.
● Assists in the development of assembly and test fixtures.
● Confers with purchasing staff to specify and/or select product materials.
● Coordinates test effort at Underwriters Laboratories.
● Travels to customers for design reviews, data gathering and presentations.
● Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor's degree (BSME or BSEE) from four-year College or university; and five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated experience with CAD and Solid modeling using a recognized software package (CREO (Pro-E), SolidWorks) and Finite Element Analysis.
• Demonstrated excellent time management, prioritization abilities and strong project management skills.
• Ability to manage complexity and change.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills with experience in communicating and working with a remote staff.
• Ability to generate respect and trust from staff and external constituencies along with the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to create a results driven, team-oriented environment.
• Willing to travel up to 25%.