Design Engineer III - Passive RF Components
Innovation. Develop technology and design quality, manufacturable products on-time and consistent with business strategy and processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support, contribute and promote a safe work environment.
- Develops technology and process know-how to ensure designs are technologically competitive.
- Designs, develops and tests new products to support the assigned product line.
- Interprets customer specifications and translates them into design and/or manufacturing requirements.
- Specify tooling and equipment needed to support the prototype and production build.
- Provide technical support to organizational stakeholders (Production, Quality, Marketing and Sales).
- Consult withSales in quoting customer requirements and bid preparation.
- Participate and contribute to team training, development, mentoring and audits.
- Demonstrate behaviors consistent with company policies.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, ElectricalEngineeringpreferred.
- A mature knowledge of RF and microwave theory to be used in an array of passive products from resistive components, filters and connectors.
- Responsible for the development RF and microwave component passive designs to include concept development, design documentation, prototype design proof testing and successful manufacturing introduction
- Understanding of RF test equipment and measurements.
- Knowledge of MIL-Spec and other Space/Defense/Aerospace/Medical industry specifications related to passive components
- Ability to perform Root Cause Analysis utilizing standard problem solving tools and methodologies.
- Knowledge of 3D electromagnetic modeling software, HFSS and CST preferred
- Support the NPI Phase Gate process and associated software tools such as Clarizen
- Proficient in SolidWorks (preferred) along with Microsoft office products (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint)
Planning and Decision Making:
- Coordinates with project team to ensure milestones are achieved and risks are mitigated.
- Analyzes and resolves work problems and/or assists others in solving work problems.
- Relies on extensive experience, analytical capacity, problem solving skills/tools and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Conceptualize design, develop and analyze RF & microwave passive components for company proprietary as well as customer specified products.
Impact and Scope:
- Contributes to Functional KPI goals.
- Design authority for new and existing configurations.
- Collaborates across multiple sites and geographies.
- Employee may be required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit and talk or hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Some travel may be required for training and/or other business purposes, including customer and/or supplier visits.
Key Internal and External Relationships:
- Be able to lead or contribute to cross-functional teams in product development cycle.
- Interface with customers & supply chain during the development cycle and conduct customer visits as necessary.
- Be able to train Internal and External stakeholders on our products and capabilities.
Smiths Interconnect (www.smithsinterconnect.com) is a leading provider of electronic components, subsystems, microwave and radio frequency products that connect, protect and control critical applications in the commercial aviation, defense, space, semiconductor test, medical, rail, industrial and test and measurement markets. Smiths Interconnect’s high technology brands (EMC, RF Labs, Lorch Hypertac, IDI, TRAK, TECOM, and Millitech) are synonymous with exceptional performance whenever a technologically advanced, high quality solution is requested to ensure reliability and safety. Blue chip customers include Raytheon, BAE Systems, Finmeccanica-Leonardo, Airbus, NVIDIA, Qualcomm, Alstom, and Biosense Webster, just to name a few. One of five divisions of Smiths Group, Smiths Interconnect employs over 2000 people globally withlocations in the US, Mexico, Costa Rica, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Tunisia, Singapore, and China, and a global sales and distributionnetwork.